Being made to feel like an idiot

Does anyone else ever feel like a complete idiot due to your cognitive symptoms? I know I do. I hate how I can’t remember simple directions, or how I can’t understand what I’m reading until I reread it several times, or how I forgot everything that I’m supposed to do unless it’s written down.

8 Likes

Idk if its really being made but maybe there will be meds for negative and cognitive symptoms in the future, dont give up. My negative symptoms are much worse than my cognitive symptons but both suck. Also arent you able to work? I know for me I cant handle hard jobs, I never did, even before sz, eventhough I was an A student. Its really weird how university is easier for me than working.

I feel more pressure while working than studying, its more stressful. Also I get bored when working as we do the same thing over and over. Now I cant work at all.

1 Like

When my voices berate me, I feel like a total idiot. Tonight they were calling me a Karen. I never felt smart before SZ because I am at an elementary school level at Math. It’s atrocious.

2 Likes

I am able to hold a job. Luckily it’s a very easy job so I’m able to handle it. I do struggle with the paperwork part of it tho. I really hope there’s meds for the cognitive and negative symptoms soon

1 Like

I feel like a complete moron. I’m not able to think clearly at all- even basic thoughts take a lot of energy, like thinking through mud. I can’t read a body of text and remember what I have read, let alone comprehend the information. Because of the level of impairment I can’t work and I feel like a useless lump. So yes, I feel like an idiot.

4 Likes

You can still be smart even if you have dyscalculia.

1 Like

@Schwann I can relate to all you say. It’s even hard to complete a thought without being interrupted by the voices.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you experience this too- it really sucks.

Yes, it does suck big time. I refuse to give up, but a little relief would be nice

2 Likes

I highly recommend fish oil for these symptoms. It really works to bring back some of the working memory issues that you get from meds and the disease and even age itself. I take 1000 mg of plain old fish oil in the morning and my memory, concentration and other cognitive ability has greatly improved. I don’t feel as dumb anymore. It did take about a good month to start to notice a difference. From there it just kept improving. I used to not be able to remember a four digit number in my head or a phone number or balance my checkbook. Now I can remember a 6 digit number, have many phone numbers memorized and balance my checking account to the penny every time.

2 Likes

I’m glad you get relief from fish oil. I’ve been taking it for quite a while, and I’m not sure I get the same relief, but I’m sure it’s doing something

2 Likes

I’ve always had those kinds of problems, but recently they’ve been getting worse. I’ll get up to do something, and I will forget what I got up for. I’ll will be very familiar with a person, and I will forget his name. I do other things like that too. It worries me that I am coming down with Alzheimer’s. I’m 62 years old. I’m close to that age.

2 Likes

That does sound like one of the Charming benefits of Aging, LOL. I do that a lot, I get up and go in the kitchen, but when I get there I haven’t got a clue what I was looking for

I repeat people’s names in my head over and over again, so I don’t forget

2 Likes

This will give you an indication of how you are doing.

My favorite movie “David and Lisa”

One of the nurses say,

“Your aren’t a lump, your a girl”

It’s just one of my favorite lines in movies.

You aren’t a lump

2 Likes

That’s a lovely thing to say, thank you. I’m very hard on myself but I’ve gone downhill so significantly since getting sick. It’s like I’m a different person

1 Like

Yep exactly !!!

1 Like

My sister or someone will be talking to me and a few minutes in I’ll have to say “Um can you repeat that? The voices are talking to me and I didn’t hear what you said”

2 Likes

a lot of people forget things.

I just hate I can’t read novels anymore.
I used to go thru books like water.

2 Likes

yea i started to feel like an idiot over time too… i’m not sure if it’s the meds or the sz…