Barebones bodybuilding

Is your weight lifting routine similar to this?

• Yes
  • No, please explain

0 voters

I do something similar to this every other day. It takes me around an hour each time because i add in abs and push ups. I slightly tweek the workout each time so it’s slightly different.

2 Likes

I do sets of ten with lower weights then I do a burnout set with a heavier weight. Honestly I’m not trying to look like a bodybuilder, I just want to build muscle mass in place of fat. I don’t need to be uber strong anymore I’m not a competitive athlete.

I’m on trt which is really helping with strength, endurance and building muscle. I recommend it for anyone who has reached the age where the body naturally stops producing as much testosterone as it did in youth.

1 Like

Bodyfat percentage is most important to me.

You were a football player right @nfy?

I’ve never heard of trt.

1 Like

Yeah, I was a guard and defensive tackle. I’m naturally big, I think I got the genes from my uncle.

Trt for me is injections of testosterone into my upper thigh every week. There is also gel you can rub on your skin and some other methods.

I’m basically taking anabolic steroids (testosterone), but at a monitored, safe level.

I just turned 40 in April and my testosterone levels were extremely low.

1 Like

Ya I think some steroids are safe because the FDA regulates it now.

Do you know anything about resistance bands? I don’t know how I should be using them. They just feel like a light weight.

1 Like

We sell alot of them at work. I’ve really only ever used them in therapy when I was injured. They’re great for flexibility, but they don’t compare to lifting free weights and tearing down the muscle fiber.

In therapy I used resistance bands at a weight that was easy enough to do higher reps. I was always told to make sure I used proper form so the muscle stabilizers and tendons/ligaments get used to going in the proper direction, so the injury healed properly.

I haven’t used them in the gym, but I see alot of people using them to stretch. I might try it as I haven’t really been stretching much and I’m getting a little tight.

1 Like

I’ve been fearing having an injury.

Were you lifting really heavy weight when you were injured?

1 Like

I was squatting 550, without a belt. I made it just off the rack and collapsed. Ended up with 2 herniated and one ruptured disc. I was told I have degenerative disc disease, so it was going to happen at some point. It’s a shame, I really loved playing football. It was such a great escape.

2 Likes

Damn you are a beast. That’s too bad.

1 Like

Be safe, I should have been wearing a belt all the time. Back then they considered it a weakness. Just like using straps on deadlifts or cleans.

1 Like

Will do. Maybe one day I will get back in the gym. I will get a belt if I do.

1 Like

Used to love these videos of Frank McGrath working out good motivation

1 Like

He lifts 405 lbs and 225 lbs the same. Can’t even tell there’s a difference.

1 Like

Yeah his form is perfect

1 Like

Damn, doing that on the incline is impressive.

2 Likes

haha yeah man my workout is pretty similar. I do 4 of those exercises on upper body day. side laterals, front raises, shoulder presses, and upright rows. plus a lot of other stuff. I just do one set and rep til failure unless I get to 37 reps then I quit and consider increasing weight the next time. I like to be successful with a weight for a month though before I increase weight. slow and steady. don’t want to get injured.

it’s funny because I didn’t know what the side laterals and front raises were called before I watched the video. haha.

2 Likes

Antipsychotics gave me low t as well, but I’m off them now and my t has probably gone back to normal. It feels that way anyway, but I need a blood test. I had the t of an old man for like 10 months.

2 Likes

Larry wheels tore his bicep

1 Like

Mine was 87, should be at minimum 280 and that’s still probably too low.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.