Assisted Living Facility

So it’s set.
My brother wants to take control of all my finances and stick me into an Assisted Living Facility in the future.
He is my Trustee and has a lot of say into my life, for better or worse.

My therapist feels that an Assisted Living Facility would be the ideal setting for me also.

I will do my research but so far it’s a good option.

8 Likes

Wow, that is a lot to take in Wave. Do you trust your brother to act in your best interests?

2 Likes

It is a lot to take in @Sarah.
Some days I trust him, some days I don’t.
My Money will go into my trust fund which he manages but it’s set aside for me.

2 Likes

This is tough. I really feel for you. I am currently trying to find a place to live on my own, independently of my sister and brother-in-law. Who knows how it will work out, but I can’t live with them forever. At our age we have to think about the long term. I hope and pray all the time that I never ever end up in a homeless situation again.

Take your time with this, there is no need to rush into anything. Try not to feel pressured by your brother. Good luck @Wave.

1 Like

I’m sorry @Wave, and I hope that this will work out for the best. I’ve always thought that if something happens to my husband and my kids are grown, I will go into an Assisted Living facility. I’ve even picked one out.

2 Likes

Yes this is when my Father passes away, in the future.
He is 85 years old and we are preparing for my future.
I have a hard time living on my own.

Thank you @Sarah and @Happy_H

3 Likes

It’s good to at least have the option.

2 Likes

Wow that’s big news. How are you feeling about it? What are the places like that you’ve looked at so far?

2 Likes

I hope it works out for the best. My husband is in charge of my money, and I don’t have a clue what I’d do without him. I hope you can trust your brother.

2 Likes

That sounds great. One less thing to worry about later. Hopefully you can find one you like in your area.

1 Like

I currently live in an assisted living center. It’s not a resort, but it is a good option for people like us. It is very good for a person like me, because I have compelled socializing, which I probably wouldn’t do if I was alone. You get eccentric if you’re too isolated. I also have plenty of spare time. Do some research on these places. Some are better than others. Also, every once in a while a bad element or two will come in and change the atmosphere of the place. That doesn’t usually last too long. I’ve never been in an assisted living center in a town of any size, so I don’t know how things are in small towns. They have assisted living centers in the country and up to good sized towns. See if you can find people who can let you know how things are in their assisted living center. Find out how often they go to town. Find out how much spending money they give you when you go to town. Where I live they give the residential care people $10 a week for every time we go to town. People in the independent living facility get much more, but they have to supply their own needs. Find out if they have an independent living center as a part of their facility. Some assisted living centers are more structured than others. One thing you might do is call an assisted living center and see if an aid will give you the lowdown on the place. It will probably not be perfectly accurate, but they will probably give you a good idea, if they have time.

5 Likes

well you are taking it very well…I don’t ever want to live in a assissted living facility…once I get my inheritance I plan on buying a house…

2 Likes

Thank you everyone.
I haven’t finalized anything yet, it’s just another option.

I haven’t looked at anything just yet @anon1517417.
Lots of planning to do yet.

2 Likes

Good luck with everything. :slight_smile: I think it’s brave of you to consider this step.

2 Likes

Thanks @antidepressant044 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well be thankful you qualify. I live on my own and I can barely take care of myself. I need to be in a group home but I don’t qualify.

2 Likes

I have had good and bad experiences with assisted living. My first place was a board and care I was there for 3 years and it was awful. I really don’t know how I survived that time.

My second place was an independent living. It was a totally different set up and geared towards getting you out living independently again.

1 Like

Wave,

What do YOU think is best?

1 Like

I think that it might be a good idea.
I actually brought it up first to my brother.
I still have to weigh my options.

2 Likes

I’m starting to change my mind.
I may continue living in our house.
I’m thinking about it more and more.