Ashamed of being German

German people are idolized and they don’t want to be. There should never be a stigma on being German. I’m a bit concerned that they are discrimated against along with other people of European decent.

Yeah, I work in an army reserve office building. There are long, straight hallways in each wing. The walls are decorated with army related paintings of battles that are deemed significant. They have many paintings of the army throughout our history back to 1776. I often stop what I’m working on and read the captions. A lot of them show the U.S. army defeating Native-Americans or Mexican army’s. I don’t know about anyone else but if I was a Mexican or Native-American who worked with in the building I would be highly offended. To see Americans glorifying killing their nationality. We have many Mexican and several Native-Americans who work and I always wonder how they feel about these paintings.

2 Likes

Latino strong. They will survive.

1 Like

Sometimes people go berserk. Sometimes the leadership goes berserk. Sometimes that leadership takes a lot of people with him. Then we have a problem.
My Dad did not know enough to not side with Hitler, to defend his new country, the US. He was torn about his loyalties. At work, after the Germans won a battle, the men would sarcastically say to him "I’ll bet you’re happy, now. He was miserable and the whole family felt it.

He didn’t get into office with a majority of the votes. He had a plurality, not a majority. But when Hitler burned down the Reichstag and placed himself as dictator the rest of the country fell in line. They paid a very heavy price for listening to Hitler. They had to fight in - 30 degree weather in Russia. The allies carpet bombed them day and night for two years.

Your nationality and ethnicity has nothing to do with what you are and what you do.

Historians don’t believe he did it, he just took the opportunity to get full power from that event.

2 Likes

I have no idea why you are ashamed to be half German. It is not like you are Hitler. Even if all of Germany was evil that does not make you evil.

1 Like

Because I’m quite sure we were stoned by the hating neighbors. When a society turns against a people, the people can’t fight back and end up turning on themselves.

I posted about my family’s experiences before. See below…

7 Likes

@Moonbeam very well spoken

3 Likes

Feeling national shame is as German as it gets.

1 Like

My grandparents came to the US from Germany in the 1920s. They obviously left some family behind. One of them owned a general store. He was not a member of the Nazi Party and was frequently having his windows broken and things stolen from the front displays. He joined the Party in an effort to stop the Nazis from vandalizing his store, and it worked. This was circa 1937 or so. His shop survived WWII, and after that, I have no information on him to provide. It’s just a weird thing to think “Hey, you have a distant relative who was in the Nazi Party.” But if you look at it through the lens of doing it to protect his livelihood and not having political involvement, it becomes a little more palpable.

3 Likes

You shouldnt be ashamed, do you know how much people love German cars? And i have a German friend, heavy drinker and smoker and still look sober. Haha

I’m from England, we have no resentment towards German people.

2 Likes

There’s more give and take since you are closer to Germany than the US is. Part of my shame is due to my illness and also the paranoia of my father. Low self esteem was the result that hurt he worst.

1 Like

Hitler is an extreme example but most nations have something they are ashamed of. Either in the past or the present. i.e. the U.S. with slavery and decimating the Indian population. Many other nations have oppressed their minorities and treated certain populations poorly or started wars. Only a few other nations in history have come close to committing the atrocities on a scale that Hitler did.

2 Likes

Everyone German ive met is so so proud of their country !!

They all hate Hitler aswell, naturally !

1 Like

What is eqs? I 've never heard of it.

Short for emotional intelligence. You should never lie about the history of the world.