Are you a typical schizophrenic?

are you a typical schizophrenic ?

4 Likes

That depends on your definition of typical, but yes, I have all the symptoms of psychosis i.e. delusions, hallucinations in all 5 senses, paranoia, plus the mood swings of bipolar… the odd behaviour, the strange thoughts, I guess I’m a typical schizophrenic/scz-affective in that sense.

1 Like

I have none 7 years…still no one wants to know or even care…

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear you feel that way Pedro, that no one wants to know. That must be a lonely feeling.

You seem like a lively chap, Pedro. But online interaction can be tedious…
Don’t you have friends in real life?

I am happy with my life…and I am happy I had psychosis believe it or not…

1 Like

I usually don’t experience “Voices”.
I also have a strong Bipolar element.
I’m rather Atypical in that sense.

I’m glad to hear that Pedro.

feck friends I don’t need em …how many friends u got?

I don’t know what a typical schizophrenic is and doubt that one exists. We all vary in our own ways from what drugs work the best for us, if we even take drugs, our symptoms, and our lifestyles. Some of you can show photographs of beautiful scenery while others would see everyday what I see now which is urban scenes with a few trees around. However in the past I’ve lived in the suburbs, and have traveled to some pretty nice places. Some of you are working like I used to do, others have possibly not worked at all, some of you hang out at the Psych Ward a lot, some of you are frequent jail residents, some of you have spouses and kids, and others like myself have always been loners. Some of you hear voices, and some of you have other symptoms. I honestly can’t define what a typical schizophrenic is.

1 Like

I’m totally alone in the details of my auditory hallucination specifics but not in general terms. See my experience, anyone have anything like this:

Well, I’m learning that, while I’ve always been a complete outsider in “real life”, I fit in on this forum pretty well as I share many of the same/similar experiences, thoughts and feelings of others with sz. I’m glad I was finally diagnosed so that I can learn why I am the way I am…
Typical though? Who knows.

I don’t feel typical. I’m extremely delusional and don’t have many hallucinations; my delusions frequently revolve around sexuality, clothing, and bodies in general being sexualized in ways that trigger my PTSD from past sexual abuse. I don’t see others on this site ever writing about the kinds of delusions I have… I think my sexual trauma triggered PTSD and SZA for me at the same time, and they overlap each other.

Tbh i dont feel typical. I have no hallucinations but quite an autistic and cold behaviour. I hope it will change one day :grinning:. Once i heard from the docs that my sz is quite atavistic, some old kind of form…

3 Likes

I’m not typical anything…
Never have, never will.

1 Like

I don’t think so. First of all, I’m well now and indistinguishable from a normal person (apart from the fact I’m on Disability which looks basically like Unemployment to them) I don’t wear my Diagnosis on my sleeve. I am a-typical in that I only experienced delusions. I am typical in that my delusions centered around common themes; a highly sophisticated surveillance system where people could read my mind, monitor and track me and Ideas of Reference where the tv/radio/internet/media spoke to me/sent special messages/read my mind. I had no voices or hallucinations which I believe is pretty common.

1 Like

atypical ?

what about you?

I am not a typical schizophrenic because I am not withdrawn, blunt, and scattered. I appear very normal, I’m eloquent, and unlike many schizophrenics I am outgoing and social.

1 Like

I’ve seen schizophrenics of all shapes and sizes. They don’t fit into neat catagories. I’ve seen some pretty wild variations on the basic design. I suppose I am a typical sz, as much as there is such a person.

1 Like

No, I am for all intents and purposes asymptomatic with high doses of antipsychotics. Two things which are weird about me are 1. Sometimes I have mini-episodes regardless of being on antipsychotics (quite frequent), 2. I have one refractory symptom, alogia which has remained since I was first hospitalized. Other than that I suffer from negative symptoms at lower intensities.