Are you a typical schizophrenic?

Very little in the way of hallucinations and voices for me but I had massive grandiose delusions.

I assume youā€™re referring to a stereotypical schizophrenic, a person who hasnā€™t taken a shower in a month, is inappropriately dressed for the weather, and is talking to himself. Then no. Iā€™m self-employed, own a nice house outright, and Iā€™m in a wonderful relationship.

2 Likes

HM, I have voices in my head, but I donā€™t have auditory hallucinations. I do get delusions and panic attacks because of them. I have social anxiety because Iā€™m worried everyone is either talking about me, or making fun of me. I do occasionally have tactile hallucinations (where you think you can touch/feel something that isnā€™t there). And I have strong mood swings. Strong paranoia, intrusive thoughts, thought-broadcastingā€¦and those are just the big issues.

Though officially my doctor has me labeled as Schizo-Effective Disorder, I think because I long stretches of depression mixed in with my episodes. Iā€™m not bi-polarā€¦Iā€™m not up one minute and down the next, its more of a constant down with me. Or Iā€™m middle of the road/just numb.

I think every case of schizophrenia is somewhat unique, we just have similar symptoms, different experiences. That being said I think Iā€™m a typical case of schizophrenia. Diagnosed in my late teens to early twenties. Was paranoid. Didnā€™t have hallucinations. Started hearing voices after a few years of diagnosis.

I dont think there is anything like a ā€˜typicalā€™ schizophrenic. I am high functioning on my meds but I do have typical symptoms like voices, thought insertion and delusions. Also agitation, sometimes pacing or rocking, and self-harm. Feelings of deadness and lack of motivation. Typical sz symptoms with unique element.

For example Alien, the man in my head is unique to me. Maybe others also have a man/woman/demon etc in their head but they call him/her by other names, thatā€™s what makes it unique.

Fortunately on meds I am almost symptom free.

1 Like

I donā€™t fit in with neurotypicals. I donā€™t fit in with SZs. I donā€™t fit in.

3 Likes

My psychologist explained it to me as a wide scale. Like autism. You can have autism and be on the spectrum but where on that scale varies from person to person.

1 Like

I didnā€™t experience your typical prodrome with negative symptoms and increasing positive symptoms. I did have an hour long acute episode a year earlier, but nothing really in between.

My sympthoms are pretty bad if I let them develop. Worse and worse they will get, if I indulgeā€¦