Anyone know anything about self employed programming?

Idk which forum I should try to go to to get info about starting a tech business. I read about someone online who did an associates in IT and now owns a company. I want to do this simply because while working a full time bank job I got too much stress. I feel like this is the wrong reason to go in this direction… I also thought it might be fun to code all day. I don’t think I have the capability to take a job that requires a bachelors in computer science, just want to go at my own pace. Any advice would be helpful including which forums I might get good answers.

@Mountainman might have some tips about how to manage your own business, even though his business is in a different field.

I don’t know anything about running a IT company, but having a proper business plan in advance always helps. I would need to know more on what your doing

Possibly web development and some site programming…

I’m trying to become a freelance web developer. Just now I’m in the early stages, taking some programming classes at community college. But it can just be self-taught with internet resources like Codecademy and Team Treehouse. Coding bootcamps are supposed to be helpful and guarantee you a job, but they are expensive and intensive, full-time courses.

2 Likes

Do you know anything about the job such as stress level, hours of work a day, how to get customers, pay, etc? I was told that if you pay at least $5000 in taxes per year for self employment you qualify for social security in ten years.

All about Microsoft.

Yea I would check out lynda.com. I just checked and they have 700 courses on web development. I would think you don’t even need to go to college or get any study books with it.

1 Like

After looking into the options suggested here I’m thinking of getting a loan from my parents to do the boot camp. Team Treehouse doesn’t seem like a strong enough foundation… nervous about throwing $10,000 into this…