Anyone here treated with cognitive behavior therapy (CBT)?

Hi there. Since last July I’ve been in individual and group therapy that is based in CBT. I find it to be very beneficial in relieving paranoia and the craving to do my drug of choice (alcohol). I’ve found that paranoia is a big piece of what messes with me. In CBT terms, it breaks down into three distortions: personalization (taking things personally), mind reading, and catastrophization (mountains out of molehills).

How about you guys? If you do it, how has CBT helped you?

2 Likes

Yes, I had both individual sessions and group therapy sessions for over a year of CBT and it gave me the coping skills I needed and it was one of the things that helped improve my insight.

I highly recommend it to anyone out there struggling with any form of schizophrenia. The drugs mask the symptoms. But CBT lets you learn how to cope with the symptoms.

2 Likes

Very well said with “coping skills.” My therapist wants to enroll me in cognitive processing therapy (CPT) as well in order to ingrain those skills even more permanently. I think it’ll be great :blush:

1 Like

I’ve done CBT for years now. It helps as far as learning the skills, but I find applying them to be very challenging. I’ve learned about the different cognitive distortions as well. I tend to do a lot of black and white thinking (everything’s either all good or all bad). I’m still working on applying the skills to cope with my symptoms, but I’m making progress slowly but surely. My therapist even said that I know all of the skills, I just need to apply them when I’m doing bad. When my symptoms are mild I’m good at using them. When they’re bad it’s like they all go out the window.

1 Like

My counselor said we were doing CBT, but we mostly just talked. It didn’t help my paranoia at all. But he and I talked more like friends so I think when I see my new therapist I’ll try again. Hopefully it will help. My problem according to my therapist is that my case is complicated because I was kidnapped and held by men for a few months. That makes it hard for me to believe I’m safe. I’m always afraid. I’m always freaking out about stuff. But like I said, maybe my new therapist will help.

1 Like

Do you take meds?

1 Like

Not anymore. I tapered off them due to akathisia and tardive dyskinesia, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.