Anyone at University with a psychosis illness?

I’ve started university this year and have studied in the past despite my illness. Its hard though. How do you manage?

2 Likes

I finished university while on Abilify, physiotherapy 5 semesters.

2 Likes

I managed the first time by only taking the minimum number of credits necessary to maintain my scholarship. Any time I took one credit more, I ended up failing half my classes and having to drop one.

2 Likes

I did the first semester before my diagnosis. Though I had to come off Abilify and now I am in bed 80-90% of my time. Bad luck :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I did better in university when I stopped my meds but then after 1-2 semesters positive symptoms were too much. I was taking 5 courses/semester.

1 Like

I’m doing summer school. Two courses; Psychology and chemistry :slight_smile:

1 Like

I took 4 Psychology courses as electives. I did pretty good and liked them. Found them much easier than the advanced cell biology class I took. Don’t take high numbered classes, they’re harder.

1 Like

I’m currently transferring to a woman’s university. When I get accepted, I will study International Studies.

3 Likes

I graduated some time ago, I really struggled with my grades and making friends. One thing I would’ve done differently is looking into student services and disability services. They may have made school less stressful.

2 Likes

I’m trying to get involved with them but it just feels a bit intrusive. I also struggle to make friend s but at the moment I have one girl who I am getting along with well.

1 Like

me too
i finished university
it was alot of stress
but i did it
you should hv willpower
if you get used to studying
you 'll hv no problem
if you dont
you 'll question yourself usually to continue or not

You need to develop good study habits such as reading a set amount every day and you need to plan everything out in advance. You need to do this to reduce all the stressors as much as you can.

1 Like

I’m at university right now, it’s difficult to read. But otherwise it is a matter of practicing information in my opinion.

I do economics.

I’ve found that lectures are helpful to me because it’s semantic learning, you sit and try to relate to what is being said. It’s not the same when it is online and it’s also not enough to get top grades but I am managing somehow.

I hope it goes well for you,

I’m in the second year and very worried about being able to progress; not because my symptoms are stopping me, but because I’m not as quick thinking as I was when before illness hit and also concentration can be an issue during exams which kind of makes things harder.

Disability office will deffo arrange for you to have extra time btw, they can also offer counselling.

I used both last year. It was okay. But this year I use neither just because it does not seem necessary, I don’t know if it’s a bad call or a good call yet. We will see,

I had to drop out of University because my psychosis was so bad. Then they medicated me so much I didn’t think I could function properly in a University setting so I never went back. I have 1 year left.

I attended and graduated from nursing College all while psychotic.

1 Like

I made i through 2 degrees with schizoaffective, ptsd and narcolepsy. Utilizing my school’s disability services helped a LOT. Specifically the function where you can have notes provided to you. My biggest struggle was with paying attention in lecture. That is already not how I learn and combine that with constantly being either sleepy or psychotic (I had not yet found the right med combo during my 1st degree) and my ability to take my own notes was slim. Also taking online courses helped a lot because I didn’t have to deal with my ptsd issues of being out in crowds and not having personal space like on the bus and I could do things at my own pace and rewind a lecture if I missed something or whatever.

For my 2nd degree I did it almost entirely online and I was stable on meds so it was significantly easier, I didn’t even need to use my schools disability services then.

So basically, utilize disability services, find good meds. Online courses may be of benefit.

As someone with schizophrenia, you are entitled to accommodations such as more testing time and note takers, etc. I received 50% extra time on my LSAT.

1 Like

I wasn’t able to stick with anything I tried
I tried lots of different colleges, uni twice
not one of the subjects really suited me
My cognitive difficulty might not have helped
But effectively psychosis happened after working too hard or just paranoid worry
Completed a lot of first years and the odd diploma
I’m a butterfly when it comes to college or work interests

1 Like

I admire all of you . I was easily intelligent enough to go, but very much not so on a practical/social level . I was intellectually advanced but in other ways very young for my age.

3 Likes

I graduated 20 years ago. It was tough but i managed thanks to meds. The university in those days, were very loose organized, you just needed to write your papers, you could attend lectures if you wanted to but it was not necessary as long you passed you exams.

2 Likes