Antipsychotic medications while pregnant?

This is for during pregnancy - and only the Phosphatidyl Choline has been tested in this application.

It reduces the stress hormone levels which impact brain development in the child - this is not shown to help already developed brains of older people (over the age of 2).

1 Like

i think it must have been only five to six capsules .becuase I think in other studies the dosage was only 900 mg choline through the lecithin which was was around 5-6 gms .kindly check up whether it was the lecithin that was 6gms or whether it was the choline that was 6 gms

Some general info on using antipsychotics during pregnancy: Definitely discuss with the doctor.

and

and

and

I wouldnā€™t risk it. Haldol is bad for adult and animal brains and bodiesā€¦and you pass it on to the babyā€¦so I have no idea why it would not be bad for a developping brain and body of a baby. If I would want to be pregnant Iā€™d try use neurofeedback to get off medsā€¦ that worked like meds, stopped my psychosis and depression, (until I quit the neurofeedback), still had side effects, but at least I see no way how these effects are passed on to the baby.

This is a super old post. My daughter is a year old. I stayed on the haldol through the pregnancy and still ended up inpatient for a couple weeks. And Iā€™m still taking it now while breastfeeding. Itā€™s been okayed to take by my PDoc, OB, MFM, PCP, and LC. So far itā€™s going well.

1 Like

what about the phase after delivery and before 2 years

@LED, do you want this thread closed?

Most antipsychotics are rated pregnancy category C which means that risk cannot be excluded but may be outweighed by benefits. Two antpsychotics are pregnancy category B which indicates there is no evidence of risk to humans. These are lurasidone and clozapine.

Itā€™s important that your psychiatrist and obstetrician are consulting with each other and carefully monitoring the situation.

Edit: Nevermind I see the update.

Pregnant already, back off dose quietly but most of the developmental problems happen in first 2 months of pregnancy. Take pregnancy vitamins too.

Thinking about getting pregnant, quietly quit meds. If you donā€™t talk back to social harassers (thought broadcasters/preach stalkers), sometimes they leave you alone after a while.

Iā€™ve seen the ladies force-fed the pills and shots in mental hospital, so they have tested on some people but usually the chick was REALLY pregnant and wonā€™t hurt the baby unless it kills it. Fetus is well developed by then. KEEP QUIET AND DONā€™T WORRY ALOUD. I would avoid stressing placesā€¦DO NOT ARGUE WITH ANYONE OR GET MENTAL CARE PISSED WITH YOU!!!

Most people are not told the SSDI pays a ā€˜familyā€™ benefit. You will get 50% more on SSDI check for childrenā€¦but not PER child. Is just 1 payment, doesnā€™t increase with number of children. Talk to social security phone # when you deliver.

Hope it helps. Would just think fate and try to relax like yoga or sewing. Xstitch is easy to learn and seems to calm, same with knit/crochetā€¦Drink milk!

my mother when undiagnosed while pregnant with my brother and he came out with all kinds of problems. she was pregnant with me and took an anti psychotic, smoked, drank and did drugs. I was born premature and with low body temperature. other than that I passed all my childhood mile stones without problem it wasnā€™t until my teenage and adult years did I develop problems.

iā€™m not saying its safe to take meds while pregnant. but I donā€™t agree with pansdisease that all anti psychotics are bad for you while pregnant yes but overall they save lives.

If you are breast feeding - there is evidence that mothers need higher levels (e.g. 1+ grams/day of Phosphatidyl Choline and that it will benefit the childā€™s brain.

More info here:

http://www.ofhealthandbeauty.co.uk/2013/10/30/importance-of-choline-for-pregnancy-and-breastfeeding/

and

and

1 Like

Doesnā€™t matter. There is a lot of good information here. I just figured Iā€™d follow up for people that arenā€™t paying attention to dates. Lol

2 Likes

Doctors realize your prob still want to have childrenā€¦ And yes even all the atypical give some sort of risk, condition or illness to the childā€¦ Be it during pregnancy or otherwise. The key is to get onto one atypical Ap and just take that Ap, keep on it and stay clean and sober. Doctors are actively finding solutions and cures for these problems. Yep maybe the baby is born with a weak heart. But if itā€™s just a weak heart thatā€™s pretty easy fix. Even surgery if needed is possible. Ask your doctor what drugs are mainstream and ideal its these that have best chance at long term health.