Antihistamines and schizophrenia

https://www.psychcongress.com/article/antihistamine-decreases-schizophrenia-symptoms

This would make sense because when I took my antihistamine, Hydroxyzine, my psychotic symptoms decreased, especially my paranoia and voices; it served almost as a emergency medication.

6 Likes

Hydroxizine also lowers my anxiety, which has always been a trigger for symptoms

1 Like

Yeah I have heard of hydroxyzine being used as an as required emergency med.

1 Like

Im prescribed hydroxizine for anxiety as needed. It works really well.

1 Like

Histamine causes brain inflammation, so maybe blocking that is the reason symptoms reduce. Good find!

2 Likes

These last few days I’ve been living on Hydroxyzine for my anxiety.

1 Like

Its doesn’t say which symptoms improved and by how much they improved.

But don’t stop your antipsychotics.

1 Like

OTC Anti-histamine zyrtec works for my thought broadcasting. Been taking it only for two days and I already can tell big difference.

1 Like

https://alisonvickery.com.au/natural-antihistamine/

1 Like

Sad to say there’s a dementia risk with diphenhydramine based antihistamines.

1 Like

Zyrtec seems pretty safe. I might start that.

1 Like

I read that antipsychotics reduce histamine levels. So it makes sense.

2 Likes

I got a half bottle of Loratadine (Claritin) from my dad, been taking it and I only took 0.5 mg of Haldol today, out of 2 mg. The antihistamine seems to be keeping my brain pressure comfortable. Voices are super duper quiet. Like non existant unless I listen to a prayer (they like superimposing their voice over prayer. I think they’re angels or something.)

Tomorrow I’m going to stop my Haldol and Amyloban 3399 completely, and just go full Daily Essential Nutrients / Loratadine.

I love this thread. I think it is a game-changer for me.

Edit: I took a quick reaction time test, and my reactions are like sub-200 ms. I don’t think Loratadine is slowing me down. I’m on my third dose.

I did forget the word “thermostat” in mid conversation though, that kind of sucked.

1 Like

Hydroxyzine really worked for me in the beginning of my illness, in fact it still works. But the main issue for me is that my psychosis started after I got taken off of Hydroxyzine. Now, it might very well be that it’s just correlation, but still, I would be careful with becoming too dependent on it. I guess, though, since Hydroxyzine is such a powerful antihistamine, whatever antihistamines you’ll be on it would not create a dependency. I also have super high histamine, which creates a lot of issues regarding allergies, so hopefully you don’t have as high of histamine as I do.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind trying this. Do you have the real type of thought broadcasting rather than the delusion type? What things have you noticed about it decreasing?

All thought broadcasting is a delusion. There is no “real” type.

It feels really real when it syncs with lips.
I have now noticed a lesser frequency of this metaphysical TB thing, but the effect doesnt seem to last till the next day.

https://organicallergyrelief.com/zyrtec-review-allergies/ this guy used zyrtec and switched to a natural quercetin.

“Zyrtec customers, after years of daily use, are just now discovering that they cannot stop taking this drug without experiencing unbearable itchiness all over the body, increased allergy symptoms due to histamine influx, and irritable moods.”

I’m doing OK so far head pressure wise with just Loratadine (Claritin) and Turmeric + bioperine. Fairly comfortable.

1 Like

Antipsychotics do more than lower Histamine levels they also change dopamine levels in the brain. I use Abilify and it works well for me. Also if you really want to go off your standard meds which I wouldn’t recommend you may want to try some lithium but not long term just to up your lithium stores, as lithium helps to produce serotonin which in turn can lower dopamine levels a little. Best of luck.

Antihistamines are bad.