Always feelin left out

Anyone always feel left out around normal people? Everyone but you guys.

3 Likes

I distance myself willingly because I eventually get bored by their shallow and prosaic conversation.
But yes, sometimes I also get that feeling that people are avoiding me.

3 Likes

I used to feel this way at times, I had figured it best to realize that it doesn’t say anything about me but more about the peeps in question. This reminds me of this quote that goes, “An emerald shines even if its worth is not spoken about”. I usually worry about me now, as in though someone thinks some way of me I shouldn’t give them a reason for their contempt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got fidgety when I’m with people for too long. I have to force myself to stay and have a conversation. It could be the meds, but it feels like I just can’t deal with my life and I want to leave. The problem is, leave where?

I feel really uncomfortable around people too, it gives me anxiety. You’re not alone I hope things get better for you. :slight_smile:

If they’re making you feel left out, then maybe they’re not the nicest people in the world.

I was talking to some parents of another kid while our kids were playing hockey together. I had a lot of trouble finding things to talk about. I felt like I was a very boring person to talk to. I always feel like i’m awkward. Maybe I pulled it off without looking stupid and I’m just second guessing. I don’t know.

Sometimes I feel myself left out, as if I was weird. I think it’s because I still haven’t overcome stigma. It seems to be psychological. I’m working on it and I’m getting better with CBT.

Either loneliness or being left out is not a good experience.

Yea I do too @Sharp It must be hard for you being in uni too, surrounded by young normies. Younger normies are by far the worst, it gets better as you get older (generally speaking).

I used a coping mechanism to detach myself emotionally. But this was my last resort.

I feel left out everywhere and can’t remember not feeling that way. It still hurts sometimes, but I have to be honest with myself about how much of the “being left out” is actually me choosing to not be a part of a group or activity.

I can never tell if it is my brain making me think people don’t want me or if it is true…

1 Like

It’s your brain.

For me I can talk easily about things I am passionate about. Mostly these are things I am/was obsessed with at one time or another. I knew someone who never talked about anything except health and running, and everyone loved talking to him. I talk a lot about politics and it doesn’t seem to have quite the same effect as him. My grandparents just talk about whatever trolley assaulted them at the supermarket that day, or list people who recently hurt themselves falling over. I have concluded that there is something I am missing. I will let you know if I find it!

The best thing I can do is isolate myself. That’s all i got. I see how attached to every little thing people get and I feel like we are on different planets.

Our lives are different than most people’s. The more you normalize your life, the more you’ll feel you have in common with normal people. When you no longer feel the illness is no longer your most defining characteristic, things change.

That sounds like great advice. I should talk about things I am or have been passionate about. I’m sure I could keep a convo going with a few things at least.

1 Like

well I guess I can have great off-duty conversations with normal people. Under one condition - there must be booze. Otherwise they’re just boring, especially when they have children. It’s just one topic then. i just have the feeling that they’re just talking ■■■■■■■■. Of course I do everything for them to feel comfortable, I ask questions, I nod and I pretend that I’m listening. But inside i think: LEAVE, NOW!

3 Likes