Psychosis associated with low levels of physical activity

A large international study of more than 200,000 people in nearly 50 countries has revealed that people with psychosis engage in low levels of physical activity, and men with psychosis are over two times more likely to miss global activity targets compared to people without the illness.

The research, led by King’s College London and the South London and Maudsley (SLaM) NHS Foundation Trust, also offers important insights into the barriers that prevent people with psychosis from engaging in regular physical activity. This data will inform interventions aimed at helping people with psychosis to be more active and ultimately, to improve their mental and physical health.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-08/kcl-paw082416.php

I guess I should make an effort to go on the exercise bike more. Swimming is out of the question though I enjoy it and walking around the town centre isn’t exactly stimulating.
Yes there are walking groups out there but my fear in going out of my comfort zone into unfamiliar territory is getting lost. I would really need someone with me all through such a walk to feel secure and safe.

2 Likes

Went on bike after long absence due to knee pain and the lcd panel wasn’t working.Luckily managed to fit new batteries. Will have to lower the resistance a little as I was knackered after 5 minutes(yes I know I’m unfit!).

1 Like

I was in peak physical condition when my schizophrenia was at its worse. I think it was my way to cope.

I’m guessing the negative symptoms weren’t predominant.

Just done 5kms. It was a struggle but I did it.

1 Like

It’s been my experience that when I shut myself off from constructive activity I tend to create the stimulation I would have felt in that activity in my fantasy life. I start projecting things onto my environment, and I start to lose contact with everyday, mundane reality. Work and everyday activity are what keeps us grounded in the present activity we all share and relate to others in.

1 Like

Would that mean that a SZ who practices sport is less affected than another one who does not?

I think it just means low levels of physical activity when you have sz makes you more susceptible to psychosis, because you’re likely to be immobile for long periods of time overthinking something which perhaps makes you paranoid.

My activity drops way off when I am not doing well. I have been having trouble for the last year. Even now I am having thoughts that I am really in hell and everyone else knows it and they are all going to do something to me - like hang me on a cross or eat my flesh. I used to get this with full blown psychosis. Now at least it is manageable with my medications. But I spend a lot of time sitting. Just can’t get motivated to do much. I think that makes me less tired so I sleep less. I pretty much just live with it. I have been dealing with schizoaffective condition for a long time. The one thing I do do (dodo LOL) is try and get out among people everyday.