Physical Activity Might Not Reduce Schizophrenia Risk

4 Likes

i was super active before sz. i would skateboard from dusk to dawn

4 Likes

i mean morning to night. i thought dusk to dawn was that but its the opposite lol

2 Likes

Lol Didnt another user today post about how exercise prevents schizophrenia? My bet is that it doesnt prevent sz as I was very active before my sz.

Before sz I was going to the gym twice almost everyday, 2x1-2h/day. I was a gym nerd lol

Yes they did. Coincidentally the above news story just popped into my news feed afterwards.

Who knows which is correct.

2 Likes

Maybe the reason for the modern sedentary lifestyle is because we’re all genetically programed to be slightly lazy in order to stop us from wasting valuable energy. So a bit of laziness might be a sign of good mental health and normality.

I worked in a university and a lot of the academics there were running around like blue arsed flies all day obsessively doing their jobs. I always thought it was a bit weird.

1 Like

Before I formally experienced psychosis I experienced delusional style grandeur as a result of taking walks in a city with really nice Victorian architecture— I reckon the overstimulation , walking, music photos and journaling must have caused too much euophoria for me to handle

2 Likes

The researchers observed no association between PA (physical activity) and schizophrenia risk in any analyses. There was evidence of an association between self-reported moderate/vigorous PA and increased schizophrenia risk in a univariate analysis with and without correction for body mass index (BMI). A trend for overall activity was noted in a univariate analysis, but the association was no longer significant after BMI correction.

Huh?

I found the paper on sci hub and the researchers said:

1 Because positive symptoms usually drive the diagnosis of samples included in schizophrenia GWAS, we hypothesize that we are (1) missing the association of PA with the cognitive/negative symptom domain, and (2) capturing a factor closely related to intense physical exercise (perhaps stress-related or personality traits) that worsens the symptomatology of psychosis.

I wouldn’t read too much into this. They would have a long way to go to show causality and it doesn’t seem like they think that is what is going on.

1 Like