Is anyone else here unable to take meds?

Another important question that hasn’t been asked yet: what are your symptoms and how severe are they?

Funny enough I wasn’t pill resistant at the start was 7 when they put me on adderall for “adhd” (which it turns out I never had but that’s another story) but I was very willing to do it even though I didn’t really understand what was going on but no so they kept increasing the dose cause it “wasn’t working” and I ended up on a 30mg dose of adderall which is a high adult dose (again I was only 7) so when they did that to me I couldn’t eat I couldn’t sleep my heart was beating so fast I kept thinking it was going to explode. It was horrible so naturally I started to resist so then they added another pill welbutrin (an anti depressant) it made me lose it I was hallucinating all the time I kept getting in trouble for starting fights and talking to imaginary friends I was always sick. So I figured out it was the pills causing it and I tried to convince my parents that this was horrible and they didn’t listen. My previous post explains what happened once I started to resist.

I can take meds (I already take an SSRI) but I don’t want to take an antipsychotic because I’m scared of gaining weight. Gaining weight is one of my biggest fears, I already don’t like my body when I am a low weight so I would hate to gain lots of weight. That is my reason.

But I’m not schizophrenic, I don’t even know what’s wrong with me lmao.
Have you tried looking into mindfulness/meditation/yoga ? It’s not a cure but it helps some people.

1 Like

Well symptoms anxiety depression I see and hear and sense things that other people can’t I’m paranoid my doc says I have delusions but idk also i self isolate and some other stuff but that’s the main symptoms I guess??? Oh and I ■■■■ up my words a lot too.

Oh and I’m 23 now I was born with schiz though I’ve had the symptoms as long as I can remember tbh

I suppose if the symptoms are not that severe then you can live without meds. I know people who are completely consumed by hallucinations and sit in a chair all day talking to themselves totally unmedicated.

It would be nice to be able to advise people on what the best care is and have them do it but I think people have to make their own choices, after all everyone’s life is their own.

1 Like

Aww man I know I have a hard time with my body image too and yeah weight gain definitely not good I’m still recovering from a eating disorder so I can definitely understand why that bothers you

And yes I do meditate! I try to everyday but some days I skip it. It does help a bit!

1 Like

I also still hate meds and wish they had never given them to me. I wish they had truly helped me, by talking to me, helping me solve my problems. I believe that without pills and with help I would have been healthy now and wouldnt have needed pills and had a higher quality of life.

So I understand you. I am so sorry for what you went through. Did you try psychotherapy with someone who knows how to work with psychosis? And EMDR?

For me it is not possible to live without meds right now, id get terrified and depressed and do weird dangerous stuff like stop eating and drinking. I cant care for my son. But if I could live decently without, I would do that. I chose to be on a lower dose and except that I have some symptoms, because I am more alive and connexcted like this.

2 Likes

Tbh my symptoms are a rollercoaster some days I’m like “normal” other days I don’t even know where or who I am it’s unstable for sure but at least I get some good days :slight_smile:

How do you know you’re not sz if you don’t know what you are?

That’s exactly my thoughts my dude. Everyone is so med happy they never even bothered to get to know anything about me it’s disheartening I’m glad someone can relate!

I’m currently in therapy but it’s going very slowly I think I’m annoying my therapist with my pace th but that’s something else entirely

Well I hope someday you and me can live happy without meds but I’m proud of you for doing what you have to for you and your son!

2 Likes

My mental health team have said they don’t think I have psychosis and my GP said the same.

Yeah but did you tell them about your paranoia and all other symptoms?

But idk, I still have periods of delusion and small hallucinations but they say that’s because of my anxiety @Moonwalker

1 Like

If your not telling them everything they can’t dx you right. We went thru the DSM together…

1 Like

What does DSM mean

I don’t like telling them some things because I can sense they think I’m lying and they don’t care about me because I got high grades at school and college, they keep saying “but you’re an intelligent girl” often but I don’t see how that is relevant to my symptoms…like how does having a good academic profile mean I’m suffering any less?
Anyway my nurse is visiting in a couple of hours, I will be straight with her today and tell her about my trust problems with my team, see how what she says about that lol.

2 Likes

The dsm is the book of diagnoses for all psychology

If I didn’t take meds I would go to prison or get locked up in the psych ward permanently. I suppose it’s all relative to how bad our symptoms are which makes up medicated vs unmedicated decision

2 Likes

Without meds I would live in a state of torture, consumed by auditory hallucinations