How do you cope with weight gain?

Yeah, olanzapine makes me have a heavy sleep.

1 Like

I weighed 122 when I was first hospitalized a year and a half ago. They weighed me when they admitted me. They started me on 2mg Risperidone. First time I had ever been on an AP. When I was discharged 3 weeks later, I weighed 136. I gained almost 15 pounds in 3 weeks! I immediately had a bigger appetite but it HAD to have slowed down my metabolism because I can’t eat enough to gain weight that fast. After I got out of the hospital, I got up to 150 pounds. I had my Risperidone lowered to 1mg and lost 10 pounds (down to 140). I have also started a thyroid med and gotten down to 133 in the last 3 months or so. The only reason I am not back down to 122 is the AP slows my metabolism. I eat EXACTLY the same as I did before I was dx and started on meds. I weigh 10 pounds more for no other reason than the med. AP’s make you fat all by themselves

1 Like

I weight under 90 lb first admitted. Gained 80 lbs in less than a year. I have tried to lose weight with exercise. Lost a handful of pounds but tend to have difficulties to sustain my effort. I think my body is working hard to put on weight. It’s a tough problem of me.

1 Like

Where ya going in your picture? I’m just being nosy, if you’d rather not answer it’s okay.

Going to Ireland where my aunt lives

1 Like

Latuda is the newest and least side effects of them all

2 Likes

I too struggle with weigth gain. I gained 20kg (from 55 to 75kg). I am off antipsychotics now for over a month and havent lost much weigth still. I hate that. I do know a low carb diet worked for me, but I only stuck with it for 2 weeks.

They say saffron helps against metabolic syndrome and for weight loss. It works as an antidepressant too though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24955550/

1 Like

55 kg is not so fat like 90 lb (goggles) which makes only 40 kg or even 122 lb (47average) wich makes only 55 kg : these are light weights. When I was 22, just before dx I weighed 154 lb (70 kg) for 1.80 meter tall and I was thin and muscular at that time. Maybe marian, goggles and 47 average are women which could explain these light weights?

1 Like

i have gained about 40lbs on my current medication. adding on another antipdychotic is an option. aripiprazole and clozapine is supposed to be a good combo for weight gain.

1 Like