Cannabis drug shows promise in treating schizophrenia

An experimental cannabis drug for treating schizophrenia, developed by UK-based GW Pharmaceuticals Plc, was found to be superior to a placebo in a mid-stage trial.

The drug, cannabidiol, was tested in 88 patients with schizophrenia, who had failed to respond to anti-psychotic medication.

More info:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/globenewswire/10149367.htm

GW Pharmaceuticals Web Site:

http://www.gwpharm.com/

5 Likes

Is this a joke?

2 Likes

I’m guessing I heard of them before and it’s cbd. This stuff is good. We can all buy cbd extract oil now. I saw a link for $11, which is super cheap. They even sell marijuana with high cbd ratio and low thc. I’ve heard about this like 2 years ago. I wonder if it’s better and more effective than cariprazine.

1 Like

First I’m surprised fox news would report anything positive on cannibas or mental illness. But I could see CBD only products possibly having positive effects. It’s really the thc that is the psychotic enhancer.

No - I wouldn’t recommend that, you never know the quality of these street oils. CBD oil at the level / quantity that is required is still very expensive - something like $300+ a month I believe for 300 mg of CBD per day, and not covered by any insurance.

and its not going to get cheaper - because the FDA has already said its a drug so it will become illegal very soon (the new drug by GW pharmaceuticals will be FDA approved it it works):

What’s the link for that ?

https://www.bluebrainboost.com/p/cannabidiol/

I haven’t really looked into it. So I don’t know if it is legitimate. Some guy posted it on reddit.

Even if it was legitimate (which i doubt) and the quality was good - you’re still talking about taking 5 bottles of this a day! Doesn’t seem realistic (to meet the same amount used in the studies of CBD for schizophrenia).

Ah - I think I found the “Gotcha” here with a lot of these CBD oils that are being advertised - especially the cheaper ones.

There are multiple types of CBD oil - from Hemp and also from Marijuana. The studies that GW Pharmaceuticals is doing is all on a special version of Marijuana CBD. This is likely different from the CBD from Hemp - which I suspect is the cheap stuff. And this article below is wrong in saying that the CBD from the new investigational drug (IND) is from Hemp - its actually from a Marijuana plant:

Here is an article related to this topic:

For an ingredient that isn’t officially approved for use in the United States, hemp CBD is quickly gaining ground in the dietary supplement market. Health food retailers across the country have begun carrying CBD supplements in recent years, even if FDA hasn’t actually recognized hemp CBD as a legal ingredient.

Hemp CBD, short for cannabidiol, occupies something of a legal grey area, due in large part to its associations with marijuana and CBD’s chemical cousin, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Both marijuana and industrial hemp are varieties of the Cannabis sativa plant, but the industrial hemp most CBD is derived from contains only minute amounts of THC and is therefore not psychoactive.

As public perception has warmed to the broader hemp category in recent years, FDA has taken a relatively hands-off approach to CBD supplements. However, those days may be coming to an end. FDA is currently considering an investigational new drug (IND) application for hemp CBD, which has already prompted the agency to speak out against CBD in dietary supplements. And if the IND is accepted, some industry experts fear the door could close on CBD ever reaching legal acceptance as a food or dietary supplement ingredient.

See more at: http://www.nutritionaloutlook.com/regulatory/finding-home-hemp

1 Like

To be honest, I wouldn’t want CBD to treat my SZA. It makes me lazy and slow and feels like more negative symptoms.

I really think CBD is the reason I self-medicate with weed. If I could get my hand on some high CBD stuff (or CBD pills) I would immediately try to ditch the THC. And I would much rather take a pill and get the same effect spread out over the whole day.

Hi

Will you take the end product on its own or alongside antipsychotics? Will there be a 2b trial or will it go to phase 3? Does anyone know? Does it cause weight gain?

Hippo

From the article:

Surely this means we may not see mono therapy CBD from GW pharmaceuticals. Also it means nobody else can do any research into adjunctive cbd therapy.

1 Like

Good news, I think this drug will make the market but prob not for another 3-5 years.

This is great news. I used to love getting baked

Sounds like a joke to me.

Well, I am not schizophrenic but my son is and he smokes a LOT of pot EVERY day. I’ve seen no difference either way. He is on his medication. That being said, I would like to mention the advertising and propaganda campaign that bombarded our country when OxyContin (the new “wonderful” pain medication came out, I forget what year) Oh, the pharmaceutical company said, “It is not addictive.” Hahaha! That was actually a complete LIE which they finally admitted. It was a huge multi-million dollar class action lawsuit. I guess what I’m saying is: Don’t believe everything the FDA says or the pharmaceutical industry. The only prescriptions I will and do take are those that have been tried and true for years. I wouldn’t dare try anything new until it’s known for sure.
p.s. I would never believe that marijuana could cure cancer, but I do believe it is good for many other reasons. And I believe it should be legal in every state.

2 Likes

I read it slows tumor growth. Smoking it is bad. It’s best to vaporize it.

The finished product won’t include any sort of high. At all. Which is the point where most people lose interest in this ‘miracle drug’. Because they just want a legal scrip that lets them get baked.

So sorry, but NOT happening.

Pixel.

4 Likes

Honestly though, wouldn’t it be better if everyone legalized weed so people would stop using the current, very dangerous, legal synthetic weed?
But I would rather take a pill that gets rid of the stress without giving me any high. Being high interferes too much with life and I don’t like the addiction part.

1 Like