5 Reasons I Wish We Would Stop Talking About 'Recovery' for Serious Mental Illness And the Word I Wish We Would Use Instead

4 Likes

When I hear about recovery from mental illness I think they mean recovery from a particulary bad episode.

Not like being normal for good.I guess some disorders are possible to fully be rid of but not for me.

The critical points;
1-The basic nature of inner condition of schizophrenia “the whole case” by all knowledge standers is not a nature of any genetic disease or mental illness issue nor the sums of abnormal personal characteristics in the thought and behaviors

2- The actual schizophrenia phenomenon is inner special condition,it is occurs for
1% of human beings,it is implicitly contain a set of vibrant internal phenomena called the hallucinations ,which in turn causing all types of disorders {in the thinking /emotion/ behaviors}

3-The hallucinations is the logic motor for all disorders and changes in the mind-brain of the person “host”,they are the pure cause of the schizophrenia condition

4-All human genes ,all psychological problems ,all family /social and environmental conditions are not the root originators of the hallucination phenomena “cause of sz” !

5-In pure reality,the things that so called hallucinations in psychiatry books ,are not human mental productions "are not the thoughts /feelings and behaviors of the person ",and in the other side they are not a symptoms of schizophrenia !!

6- the hallucination phenomena in nature are a features of alive psychological entity,higher organism,independent about the person oneself ,a whole conscious entity
like the thing that you call “myself”

7-Any human being have not a schizophrenia,he must realizes that he has one single self,one single mind and he has the ability all time of waking to act and behave in his mind /brain alone ,but the issue is vary different for any schizophrenic person !

8- The schizophrenic person has realizes that,he is not alone internally,he realizes a new psychological entity /entities inside himself,he realizes that he can not acts and behaves in his mind /brain individually because the parasitical entity has the pure ability to acts and behaves in the mind/brain all time of waking !!

9-Inside the mind/brain of any schizophrenic person,there are existential fighting and functional between the person’s oneself and the parasite self “hallucination”

10-The hallucination “cause of sz” have the pure ability to acts and behave in the mind-brain of the schizophrenic person ,so that the hallucination entity can deal with all mental outputs " the own thoughts of the schizophrenic person" ,the feelings,imaginations,retrieved memories events

11- the hallucination entity deal with the data of mind in different way,in delusional methodology in all daily life events causing many types of disorders /abnormality in the thought and behaviors of the schizophrenic person

12- the hallucination entity /entities are seem as a parasite inner speaker self,as a speaker thinker mind,he does not work in the mind-brain in silence / implicitly,he acts vocally all time of waking

13- if you have not sz,you have one mind acting in your brain body,but the schizophrenic have 2 mind acting in the brain body " spell/recurring action,rotation activity },the first is the own mind while the second is a hallucination mind (all time of waking "

14- the question;
what is the nature of recovery from schizophrenia ?
Erase the hallucination entity/entities from the schizophrenic
How can disposal /erase the hallucination entity from the psychological world of the schizophrenic person .while the hallucination is not chemical component or human mental productions ?

How can any medication have the effectiveness on the hallucination entity ?
the schizophrenic person must coexist with the hallucination,and adapt to its shocks and rejects its interference in his mental life all time of waking,or he will be a blundering in his thought and behaviors !

1 Like

I agree, especially with this - Recovery is an unrealistic standard for any chronic illness, including mental illness." and Not everyone recovers. I think celebrate + embrace are a little too grandiose or emotive.

Are those ads spread all across that site?

One possible negative is the use of the recovery model to legitimise denying help and support. “You don’t need it you’re in recovery”.
There is also the issue of recovery being seen as getting someone into work regardless of other factors that might be adversely affecting them. So long as you are able to work who cares that your QOL sucks.

The last partial recovery star I did was via the trust’s rehab and recovery team.
Scores were , in no particular order, Work 2( I would have plumped for 1 but person asking thought it should be 2) Social networks 3(only because I was involved with the team at the time) Living skills 6(could have been 5 but plumped for 6 on insistence of person asking me) physical health and self care 4 managing mental health 4 trust and hope 4 identity and self esteem 4 relationships 2.
Depending on how I am scores would go lower rather than higher…

Maybe you’re right, we shouldn’t concentrate on recovery for those who will never recover. We should probably not waste the valuable resources that can be used by those who can actually recover. If someone isn’t going to have the chance of recovery then just dope them up and dump them into a personal care home for the rest of their lives. Sounds like a plan.

I am certainly not advocating that. Of course the objective should be to move all patients lives forward as much as possible but this can be done whilst accepting that not all are going to reach a state of ‘recovery’’ and that approaches need to be tailored to the individual. ,

That is exactly what “recovery” means.

Pretty much. ‘Recovery’ accepts that there may be no cure for a lot of people but the terminology was coined as a means of acknowledging when a person is managing their symptoms as best as possible and can start looking at ways to improve their quality of life. For some, that might mean a return to work but for others, it could simply mean showering on a daily basis and getting out of the house to do their grocery shopping.

At the same time, the recovery model coincides with the fact that it’s close to impossible to get someone hospitalised these days - even when they want to be. We had this issue with my ex in the midst of a long, bad psychotic episode (6 weeks). He wasn’t violent or a threat so we were knocked back (until he was so underweight they admitted him for anorexia instead of SZ).

1 Like

@pob
Everyday the schizophrenia effects new 300 person around the world
Do you know the number of schizophrenics who are recovery from it in the year ?

Whatever the types of treatment means,medication,the period time of treatment,
the degree of improvement in thought and behaviors of the schizophrenic, but the person
stills internally suffer from the existence of hallucination phenomena inside his own psychological world {body/self,brain/mind} !

Because,all types of treatment have effect on the symptoms of schizophrenia (the results of sz effectiveness},and have no effect on the cause body of the schizophrenia
{ the hallucination phenomena }

Get rid from the sz symptoms by using all possible means make the schizophrenic
have the ability to practice his mental /behavior functions to deal with the daily life events and achieve his personal belongings and improving his living conditions,but all of these successes is not a recovery from the schizophrenia because these means of treatment are unable to erase “disposal " the cause body of sz " hallucinations entity”

From the above,it is logical that, although there are improvements in thought /behavior of the schizophrenic person ,but he must coexist with the hallucination phenomena,because there is no possible means to erase their existence from the body /self and brain/mind of the schizophrenic

All types of schizophrenia symptoms be able to treatment {erase/disposal/get rid} except the cause body of sz "the things that so-called hallucinations "

The psychiatrists have not the full knowledgeable about the data bases of the things that so-called hallucinations,they are not a production of human genes,they are not chemical components,they are not protein,they are not human mental perceptions outputs,they are not human thoughts/feelings /behaviors,they are not organic symptoms,they are not human psychological existence,BUT they are in nature a
non-human freelance independent psychic creature,they emitted from the inside
to interference within the time/place of the own psychological entity of the schizophrenic person and have FULL synchronization with the own consciousness state of the schizophrenic person ,they have full texture/ inseparability with the human psychological entity all time of waking

This means that,whatever your theoretical idea about the hallucination nature and its root originators ,they are alive psychic entity/entities have existed in the time /place of the thing that you call " my self" " my own mind ,my inner

For the psychiatrists of world,it is so early to claiming that they have the knowledgeable about the hallucination to erase them from the human psychological component of the schizophrenic persons

Even if the psychiatrists believe that,the biological body produces the human psychic entity,the brain organ produces the mind, the genes produces the consciousness state,the problem that they face is that the hallucination entity is coherent with the body/time and place of the human psychic body of the schizophrenic person,the question for all doctors:
How can you find a medication to disposal the hallucination entity from the time/place and body of consciousness state of the schizophrenic person ?

We meant,even if you believe that,the human genes produce the hallucination entity,the doctors have no practical means to disposal the hallucination,because it is alive consciousness state {alive HIGHER creature not a virus or chemical},so that it is logical for the schizophrenic person to coexist with the hallucination entity and reject its interference in his culture,believes,behaviors …etc,and that action is enough to be
100 % recovery from schizophrenia SYMPTOMS and to be nothing % from the cause body of sz

Here we give an example to explain the truth of sz recovery issue .

YOU CAN NOT ERASE THE NATURAL PHENOMENA FROM THE UNIVERSE <
BUT YOU CAN COEXIST WITH THEM,the schizophrenia phenomena is the same.

1-The human being is coexist with all natural phenomena,environmental and social conditions,political and economic systems,cultural and educational methods,
religions and civil laws…etc

2- The human being have the ability to coexist with extremely hot /could weather,
scarcity of water/food /money and lack of employment opportunities …etc

3- It is supposed that,he invents every possible means to positively adapt to all phenomena and condition around him,

4-He coexists with them,acts to improve his living conditions and developed them all time to serve his personal belongings

5-DO NOT supposed for him to invents means to ERASE all physical phenomena and conditions from the universe “the existence”,instead he must lives his life in the presence of all natural phenomena,he must coexists with them

6- In other words,there is no recovery from the existence phenomena "natural phenomena " like volcano,earthquake,rain and hot /could weather …etc but there is a bilateral coexistence between the human being and the physical phenomena

7-The schizophrenia is the same,when the sz occurs for a person,there are a group of internal phenomena be called hallucinations has emitted in the inner psychological world of the person

8- You can not erase the hallucinations phenomena by all possible means,like you can not erase the physical phenomena from the external world ,and it is supposed that you must coexist with the hallucinations phenomena,and invents all possible means to adapt with this hallucinations

9- When you talk about the recovery from the hallucinations phenomena,this is like who is talks about the recovery "erase /disposal " all physical phenomena from the materialist world,like someone claims that he invents a special means to erase the gravity from the universe !!!

10=Whatever your theoretical idea about the core nature of the hallucinations phenomena,they are basic nature more constant /stable than the materialistic nature

11-The hallucinations phenomena is an actual hidden force have the pure ability to effect on the functional interconnects {links} between the brain organ and mind state,this force has attempts to repeal the bilateral relationship between the personal cultural data content and his own ego, so that it is so hard for the schizophrenic person to acts / behaves mentally in his brain as he was acted before the sz occurrence

12-the inner communication between the Ego volition and the mental outputs is happens under interfere effectiveness of hallucinations force,and that interference lead to all types of disorders//symptoms/disability…etc

13-what is the core difference between non-schizophrenic individuals {people who have not sz } AND schizophrenic individuals ?
-the non-schizophrenic have the ability to practice his mental functions in the absence of hallucinations force,and his thoughts is inside the box of correct //incorrect
-the schizophrenic individual has the ability to practices his mental functions in the existence of hallucinations interference,and his thoughts is outside the box of correct//incorrect because the interaction between the hallucinations and the person’s thoughts make an new connotation meaning to the personal thoughts and that make them inside the box of delusional thoughts

=So that,the schizophrenic person must adapt with the interfere effectiveness of the hallucinations force all time of waking,like you adapt with the gravity effect,hot weather and etc,and the speaking about full recovery from the hallucinations is just an empty speech ,because the human science have no idea or means to erase basic phenomena "hallucinations force "

Does google do an Abat translator?

I don’t accept that even the worst effected can not recover. There recovery could be just the best they can do. I’m all for hope , but there is little hope where a person is lost to severe and disabling symptoms.

English is probably not his first language which makes it harder when speaking on philosophical matters

Yes, I’m quoting myself.

It really sucks that I see this happening in my town. The assertive community treatment team (ACT), which has just been shut down by the state, had been doping and dumping some of the most ill into personal care homes. It’s repulsive.

Nobody should be written off, and the system is definitely flawed when they are. I want to become a peer advocate so I can help these people stand up to the system when it fails them.

4 Likes

@Meteor
1-Show me one single sentence in my posts related to the philosophical matters ?
2- The connotation meaning of word “recovery” in any language is indicates to disposal “erase” the cause of the disease which lead to the disappearance of all symptoms

3-In the case of genetic disease,you treatment the symptoms NOT the disease itself,in other words,you treatment the symptoms not the cause itself "ill gene "
4- Taking medication of genetic disease should causing the recovery from the symptoms of disease for some time {hours//days},without effect on the cause of disease “ill gene”

-Recovery from the symptoms { for awhile } is not the recovery from the disease itself
for lifetime !!

• Even If you belief that,the schizophrenia is a frank genetic disease,the medication can only
    remove the symptoms of sz for awhile {hours /days},and there is no actual hope to remove {disposal} the cause of schizophrenia {ill gene- as you were belief }

The psychiatrists can not remove the gene of schizophrenia
The psychiatrists can not treatment the gene of sz
The psychiatrists can not change the gene of sz

SO THAT,if you belief that the sz is a genetic disease,it is logical
to believe that there is no actual recovery from the schizophrenia BECAUSE
the doctors have not the means to medicate ill gene,remove or change

The psychiatrists can only deal with the biochemistry of the ill gene
or its metabolism processes ,which lead to disposal some symptoms
for awhile,and that does not achieve the recovery from the sz,and these
practical facts are not an expression about any philosophical matters

there still working on it, they have team of scientists working day and night. :blush:

I think ‘fahrvergnügen’ is a much better word than ‘recovery’. Volkswagen is on to something.

10-96

The biological psychiatrists belief that,the sz is genetic disease,and it must be there is a bad gene produces the schizophrenia

-In practice,they still fail to find the claimed gene,therefore this belief is merely
a theoretical view,pink on page

_So that,the philosophical matter indicates that,the sz gene is unknown and
there is no suitable means to medicate the bad gene itself to achieve the common recovery

That is to say,EVEN if the psychiatrists find the bad gene who is produces the
the schizophrenia, but they still have not the suitable means to medicate the bad
gene to achieve the common recovery

YOU can believe in the possibility of recovery from the schizophrenia in the future but not NOW, and the speaking about the common recovery from the sz according to the current medical measures and lack of knowledge is a way to belittle the minds of readers,you should say the truth whatever the results

MY personal advice,you should reject the idea of sz is genetic disease,that is to have a real hope for the recovery matter from sz !

The pathway of schizophrenia during the lifetime and the results of medical effects on the biochemistry of the brain has indicate that ; the schizophrenia has exists and acts in the brain as if its a Genetic Condition,but all tests be fail to find the genetic root

Abat , your posts are usually too long. In terms of my comment on philosophical matters , you do not speak practically and seem preoccupied with mental and cognitive processes. The reason that schiz is a psychiatric condition is that it was the only way to objectify symptoms. Measuring cognitive processes has being historically difficult to do and in terms of ‘experiences’ in mental disorders they are highly subjective , that is why we have seen the development of the bio medical model as the only scientifically sound approach to treating serious mental illness.

You also seem to think that science has to be 100% right and if it isn’t it has no merit. This is not the way that science works. Science more often than not is wrong , hypothesis are tested , progress is made , results and conclusions form the next hypothesis and then onto the next iteration of testing. Iteration after iteration it moves backward and it moves forward but over a sustained period of time , it should increase our understanding , regardless of solutions. Eventually when our understanding becomes so immense , solutions will present themselves.

And I criticised you for long posts…:slight_smile: