Write a random childhood memory thread

Ah…summer fun.

The little moments matters.

I actually thought it was brave of you to tell him how you felt. It was just bad luck that the boy and his girlfriend were mean and thoughtless.

MadHatter

1 Like

Some summer fun memories I had was when I’d spend two weeks in Iowa visiting my cousin’s. Most of them lived on a farm and I’d go about helping them with their chores…while it might have been just every day things to them being a part of something like that was nice…everyone doing their part to chip in and make sure the work got done, never felt picked on by anyone because they were family and we stood by each other. I used to look forward to every summer as a kid because it meant I could spend 2 weeks up in Iowa visiting family.

1 Like

I don’t have really any pleasant childhood memories, but there is one that has been on my conscious for the past few days.

When I was a freshmen in high school, I used to try to get in-school suspension (ISS) so I could spend the day (I): Focusing purely on my studies without distraction of others, (II): Having time to consume myself in an enjoyable book, and (III): The ISS teacher was my favorite teacher.

There was a time when I was given ISS for a full two weeks. Everyday I’d grab a bunch of books from the library so I could read during my time in there. After a week of being in ISS, there was this ■■■■■■■ of a kid that was sentenced to ISS. He sat across the room from me, but he had a bunch of friends that were obviously joining him in there so when the ISS teacher would leave the room, they would talk so loudly, I would get irritated.

Near the end of the school day (It was a Tuesday, I believe), I heard the ISS teacher leave and as usual, this kid and his friends started being obnoxious. I thought that since they were the typical of assholes, it wasn’t anything different until I heard really loud laughing. The ISS teacher came back in, sat down, everyone shut up, and I heard a few of the other kids chuckling and whispering to each other.

The kid had spit in the teacher’s drink. The bell rang and all the other kids left, so it was just myself and the teacher. I realized that he had already drank the kid’s spit from his soda and when I walked up to him, I told him that I was sorry for not speaking up sooner, because the kid had spat in his drink. The teacher stood up and had me walk with him to the office. When reaching the door, he told me to just go ahead and go on home. I did.

Next day, one of the kid’s friends had asked where the kid was when another one of his friends responded with “He got suspended from school for spitting in Coach’s drink”. They asked how she knew that when she started talking about how someone had snitched and that she knew who it was that had told on him. I turned around because I could feel everyone’s glare - They were all staring at me. A few of his friends started in with degrading remarks about how I’m stupid for telling on their friend. I told them that they were disrespectful and no teacher deserves to drink someone’s spit that could contain a disease.

They picked on me all day and when the teacher would leave the room, they’d throw paper wads at me. It really didn’t help the fact that I was already considered a loser in high school, but I don’t condone idiotic acts of spitting in someone’s drink.

3 Likes

Good for you. You stood up for your principles and showed integrity.

1 Like

It’s good that you stood up and said something.

demons tried to snatch me and drag me through a hell hole when i was 5 yrs old,

happy days :thumbsup:

When I was in sixth grade my friend got a rubber blow-up raft/boat. He was in seventh grade and one day his (beautiful) mother took us to the beach. It was near Santa Cruz in a little town called Aptos. Near the cement boat for those of you who know the California coast (maybe SurprisedJ?). Anyway, the raft was a little two-man raft. We blew it up with air and took it into the ocean. The waves were huge. Well somehow we went out too far and we got beyond the waves crashing on shore. And we couldn’t get back in because we were out far enough where we couldn’t touch bottom and we couldn’t swim in from all the waves that were crashing one after another. We both got scared and started to panic. We were drifting out further away out to sea and our two paddles were not helping us. And neither of us we great swimmers. If we fell out of the boat there was a good chance we would drown. So we would try to paddle in but the waves were to big and would capsize us into the water. We kept trying only to be sucked back out into the ocean. We finally realized we would have to take a chance and catch a huge wave perfectly and ride it in. So we just steeled ourselves and said NOW and when a wave came we paddled onto it like maniacs. My friend was shouting, “Paddle, Paddle”. And we got lucky and rode the wave in until we tipped over but we were in neck-deep water by that time. We dragged ourselves and the boat back to where his mom was tanning on a blanket. We literally thought we had escaped death. We flopped down and his mom said, " How was the water"! The whole time this drama was going on she had no idea! We told her what happened and she said, " I heard you guys yelling but I thought you were just fooling around"! After that we never brought that raft back to the beach.

2 Likes

Sneaking into the drive-in movies when we were in high school. One guy hiding in the trunk one guy behind the drivers seat on the floor. We would bring in a couple six-packs of beer to tide us over. I remember seeing “Jaws” one night. Another time we saw “The Exorcist”. One time I snuck in to see “10” in the front trunk of my friends VW Beetle. Anyone remember “10” when it came out? With Bo Derek? It made her a household name in the seventies, it was a huge deal.

Didn’t find the real thing.

I’m glad you caught a wave to make it back.

Raft Surfing… new sport.

On our way across country for the holidays we were nearly crushed to death by a semi that over turned coming off of an on ramp.

I almost died. But i just wasn’t that lucky you know. How i wish it had killed us that night.