Would you adopt an older dog?

i was thinking about how when looking for pets people usually look over the older dogs, probably mainly because when u get a dog u want them to be able to be with you for a long time and that seems less likely with old dogs. but it also seems kind of selfish, if everyone thought like that then older dogs will basically be permanently in shelters or put down. maybe i will adopt adult dogs and run a senior dog home at home :older_man:

6 Likes

I might be adopting an older dog soon.

9 Likes

I would adopt an older dog. But I currently live in an apartment so I’m waiting to adopt a dog until I have a garden again.

4 Likes

My neighbor adopts senior dogs. They only stay with her for about a year or so, but they are so happy. Adopting an adult (but not super old) dog is the easiest way to get a dog, because they’re generally already trained, but don’t need tons of medical care. Senior dogs need lots of medical care, but are generally more calm and better behaved.

5 Likes

I never have and never will adopt any dog. I will always love them from afar.

2 Likes

Not a senior dog but maybe a 3 to 4 year old dog.

3 Likes

I absolutely would.

I adopt senior cats. I’m a sucker for the broken ones no one wants. One I adopted at 15. He had stage three kidney failure, but still managed to make it to 19.

4 Likes

I hate to think about it,

But once all our current dogs pass,

My husband and I are getting special needs or older dogs.

They so frequently don’t get adopted because of the expense.

I think if you can adopt dogs like this, you should.

6 Likes

I think I would. I’d have to have a house though. I’d love to adopt a mature Hound type breed and name him something like Big Hoss lol. :heart_eyes:

@Wave ,@Pandy and @anon54386108 , You all have good hearts. :+1:

4 Likes

Yes. The biggest issue I would have with this is that you might get a dog with bad habits. A well trained older dog would be fine with me. Of course, I have a dog and have no interest in adopting any other dogs at this time.
I have always liked getting puppies mainly because then it’s easier to train them however you want. If you want to skip the pain of housebreaking a dog a trained older dog might be a good choice.

2 Likes

My first dog / current dog was 3 years old, when we adopted him. He’s a great doggo.

I like the idea of adopting older pets, but I’ve never adopted a senior. I am open to that, though.

2 Likes

I can’t, not with my kids.

The oldest dog I ever adopted was 1. She came from a really good handler and breeder. My current dog I’ve had since he was 4 months so I know he was trained to be around kids, cats, and other animals.

If it was just me and my husband, then I would. So maybe when the kids are grown.

1 Like

I adopted an adult Westie from my dad’s friend but he had yeast infection and black skin which already by then couldn’t grow back fur so I would rather save the money.

1 Like

When I was younger we got one of our dogs from the dog pound/shelter. He was really friendly and came well trained. I don’t know how old he was, but he was a fully grown dog. Unfortunately he got loose one day, ran across the street just as a truck was coming down the road, he was hit and killed.

I’ve also got a dog from the pet store and a couple from breeders.

2 Likes

I don’t know, I’ve been calling around to a couple local animal shelters and lots of the dogs I inquire about either have health issues and/or have behavioral issues.

2 Likes

I once was filling the e mail form for adoption, but they had question do I have someone to take care of dog while Im away. I don’t have that.

2 Likes

I don’t know @anon22846033 i don’t know if I want to adopt right now.

So many sick and troubled dogs.

I don’t want to go through hell like I did with my lab puppy.

It’s hard to find healthy well behaved dogs in shelters unless you adopt a puppy.

2 Likes

My brother brought doberman when I was 20.
It’s hard to take care even if all family is included…
We were living in flat, not the house.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t purely based on anecdotal evidence. My uncle has had dogs all his life. Very good with them and at training them. His son found a dog abbanonded in the woods and asked to keep him. This was an older dog. It wasnt trained well and didnt react well to my uncle. So he took it to a trainer and while following the trainers instructions it ended up attacking my uncle and sending him to hospital. Was quite serious.

They put the dog down because it clearly wasnt safe to continue training it. The rest of my uncles dogs are all obedient and sweet. I feel like it was clearly abused and poorly trained and ends up not behaving properly.

1 Like

My current dog is 16 years old. We got her when she was 14, off my landlords sister. Giving an old dog a home is a great thing in my opinion.

3 Likes