Will I be okay not taking my medication?

I ran out of my medication yesterday. I wasn’t able to get more until today and when I went to the pharmacy to pick them up the pharmacist said that I owed money for my pills!

I told her I was on a plan that they were covered. And I have gotten them many time before without paying money.

But she said that it must have been some sort of mistake and I had to pay to get them again. Having social anxiety I was in no way about to argue about it with her.

So needless to say, I now have no medication.

I’m already over emotional as it is going a day without my meds, I’m guessing I’ll have some unwanted side effects for stopping them abruptly like this.

But if I do anything, it’s the pharmacies fault for messing up my medication. Right?

Anyways, my mum said she would try and figure it out for me. The pharmacy is closed so I’ll have to go another day without medication at least.

7 Likes

you may get symptoms. It’s going to be okay. You can always go to the ER if you start going bad. And as always keep reaching out to sz.com when needed. I’ll be thinking about you. Take care.

4 Likes

The last time I quit taking my meds I made it 5 days and I was hospitalized. I think if you get back on track tomorrow you will be okay.

I know I shouldn’t but I have a lot of extra meds right now. I have bottles and bottles of Geodon and Wellbutrin. I just have never thrown any of them out when dosages changed and so forth.

I hope you and your Mom get it figured out.

3 Likes

I do the same thing as you! My idea is one day I will have enough pills to make a fancy picture then sell it to some rich guy as ‘fineart’ for 100000$

I have everything but what I need. I could always take some risperdal short term if I really start freaking out I suppose.

3 Likes

Sometimes pharmacists make mistakes when sorting through ■■■■ like this. Sometimes I have to pay, other times I don’t. Usually they don’t say anything to me so I get out of there without paying a thing.

3 Likes

I have a back up supply of 30 mg Latuda just in case I for some reason run out of 40 mg Latuda for emergencies like this i.e. the pharmacy being closed, or cannot afford it.

What I would do is let a primary care physician know about this; this will prepare he or she for if something were to happen. Contact your mother and/or father and let them know. This allows for important people in the “treatment group” to be informed and on stand by or “on call” and ready. Good luck. If you cannot sleep take a Benadryl / diphenhydramine. Usually APs have antihistamine side effects so you can use that as a way to at least go to sleep.

3 Likes

Its not ideal,

But I’m sure you’ll be okay for a couple days while your mom figures things out for you.

When I stopped taking my meds it always took about a week for things to get real wonky.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, @valiumprincess, I feel so bad for you. Do you have your insurance policy that you can read about your plan and take it in to the pharmacy tomorrow to prove to them your meds are covered? What’s the name of your insurance?

2 Likes

You should generally be fine for a few days. Just do what you can to sort it ASAP

3 Likes

I’m on ‘plan g’ which means because I live under the poverty line I get my psych meds covered in full.

If I have a hard time, I will ask my doctor to give me a letter. The lady working there said that if he gave her written permission she could give me whatever for free.

4 Likes

I’m glad you can do that.

3 Likes

I think that the length of time anyone can go without meds varies from person to person. And it also probably depends on what meds you are on and the dosage and it might depend on how long you have been on them.

Personally, I’m on resperidone and I discovered I can only go about 4 or 5 days without them before I start feeling a little odd and uncomfortable and a little distressed. I was skipping doses too much in these past two years when I was in the board & care home and when I moved into my current apartment 6 months ago. but I shaped up about a month and half ago and I’m back on track taking them regularly. BUT…just last week I missed 4 days (rare for me to miss that long) and I noticed I was feeling a little antsy and restless, and it was hard to relax. So I took my meds. In the past two years I have only missed 4 days in a row a couple of times but it wa a wake-up call. But yeah, except for that incident I’m back on track.

2 Likes

that is really bad and i don’t think it would ever happen here, i’d speak to your p/doc or care team about this pronto, they should be able to help, i really hope you are ok :confused:

2 Likes

Usually the pharmacy can provide a 3 day supply if you have a prescription but there’s problems with insurance

3 Likes

Hope you and your mom will straighten things our right away @valiumprincess. I think you will be okay as long as you do what you can to get some meds ASAP. Wishing you the best!

4 Likes

You may suffer some withdrawal symptoms. But I think you will be ok. Just try to do things that help keep you calm.

Hopefully this all gets sorted out quickly.

If you need anything we’re here for you!

4 Likes

I think that system is tragic. I hope you get your pills soon. It makes me so angry to know this is happening to people who need medical care.

I think the worst likely case scenario as Noise said would be withdrawal and I think it would only be a little. But don’t focus on it too much because your mind may play into it.

Nothing may happen at all and I hope you get it all sorted soon.

5 Likes

I miss days at a time sometimes, but I deem myself to be a mild case. Eventually my symptoms catch up to me if I go without them for months. I’d be careful of getting comfortable without the meds, but don’t worry too much when you run out. Just keep at the pharmacy to fill your meds, and try not to do anything rash, they will not be responsible if you fly off the handle.

3 Likes

Are u still on the abilify injection @anon54386108

1 Like

You may relapse. Even people who have no psychotic disorder get psychosis when coming off antipsychotics. People with bipolar, OCD and totally healthy people experience it. Even antidepressants can do that. Benzo withdrawal can be even worse.

When I came off luvox I was seeing and hearing ■■■■ sister. When I came off abilify I totally lost it. Brintellix, I was having crazy intrusive thoughts.

Many people have no withdrawals at all.

For some going off for a week or two has no impact. It’s just a “drug holiday”.

3 Likes