Why do the voices say it's going to harm me?

This might be a stupid question, but it seems pretty common that some voices will tell people that their medication is poison or that it’s going to harm them. I’m a high functioning scz but even I have horrifying voices they will try to get me not to take my medication. I’m already paranoid of developing bad side effects and the voices will just build off of the fears I already have. Most of the time I know not to listen and I will take them anyway. I was just wondering how many other people experience this and any ideas for getting this paranoia that my medication is actually going to harm me to go away?

1 Like

I’m unsure of whether or not my delusions are real or not, so the beings (my voices) use that to try and get me to stop taking my medicine. They say that my theories are true and that the medicine is part of the plot to stop me from seeing the truth. I don’t know how to get rid of this feeling, but telling myself that the medication allows me to think clearly while doing my homework, and makes me feel better emotionally, makes me feel like maybe it’s worth taking. Does your medicine do anything positive for you that makes it worth taking despite any danger. It’s different for us. I don’t know if it’ll work for you, but maye there’s something positive that the medication gives you that can’t be replaced. It isn’t easy. Everyday I debate with myself and wonder if I should throw the pill away. It’s hard, I get it. Try to identify something that makes taking your medicine worth the percieved risk.

4 Likes

My voices say that the Medicine is keeping me away from the Truth. When I take the medicines I will not see the truth… So I should not take the meds cause I want to know the truth

3 Likes

I made a point of writing down all of the threats the voices made and any dates they said things would happen at the urging of a therapist. She wanted me to see that the threats were empty and never followed through on and she was right. I’ve had voices threatening me for a quarter century now and they’re complete bullshitters. You can safely ignore that crap and get on with your day. Take it from an older SZ, nothing at all to worry about or stress over when your voices are being arseholes.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, never thought of writing down what they say, but that may be a good idea. I’ll have to try that in the future.

I am the same way before, for me it’s not about not seeing the truth. It’s about loosing my ability to communicate telepathicly. Lol… I know I can laugh at myself now but about 8 years ago when my family was looking for me and found me behind a pool hall nobody was laughing. Plus it makes me gain weight and I used to be a gym rat that’s why I don’t like taking my pills. I say take it everyday for about six months to a year. Just for the heck of it. Think of it as an experiment. What’s important is for your state of mind to be stable. Medication helps alot

my voice is nice to me ,sometimes she told me something that i dont know ,but not all the time ,just few times

2 Likes

Talk to people who have been on meds for a long time. 26 years now in my case. I’m doing fine. I have a wife, kid, home, and career. I’m doing well in my career and am described as ‘scary smart’ by co-workers because of my ability to memorize insurance policy wordings. I can do this while on meds that supposedly make us dumber.

All the things I’m accomplishing are happening because I’m med-compliant. I’d be drooling by myself in the corner of a psych ward somewhere today without them.

My voices sometimes tell me that if I touch my meds, they’ll make me take all the pills in the box.

I’ve learned to just think “screw you, you’re just scared the meds will kill you or make you weaker!” And get on with it.

1 Like

Reading everyone’s experiences really helped. Currently I’m not very stable but I just keep on going everyday, I’ve been taking my meds and at this very minute I’m in a positive state of mind and I know that if I continue to take my meds maybe it’ll help the paranoia and the voices telling me it’s going to harm me. Not there yet, I don’t know how long it’ll take to get there but I’m feeling motivated today. Trying to keep this positive feeling as long as I can.

3 Likes

Same here I hope I will survive. My kind and positive voices say I will. I want to give them a big hug. My negative people say I won’t I don’t know why.

1 Like

That could be seen as a very intelligent thing to say because meds will prevent you to see what would have happened naturally if you weren’t taking them, do you know what I mean? Like when I wasn’t taking my meds I would have synchronicities happen to me and my voices would tell me things that were not being said aloud and then the truth would come out!! But there’s an evil side to it all where the voices and symptoms turn on you or prevent you from doing things… that seems to be the case a lot! Everyone is different. But going off meds has a high account of people getting worse so it’s advised to stay on them… as you know I’m sure…

Good treatment and the occasional prayer seems to help keep the voices nice.