Why do mental illnesses happen?

I’m trying to figurę out What we might have been lacking in our heads That may have Made us susceptible to these illnesses, any ideas?

Well if we had the answer to that everyone in here would probably win the Nobel prize :frowning: Mental illness is very complex and there’s many different possible causes and theories on causes.

1 Like

This is a good question.

A long time ago I became interested in medications and their effects. I remember someone close to me taking a specific weight loss drug named phentramine (sp). It interested me because it sounded like methamphetamine. Somewhere in the web there’s pages of young ladies who took the drug and eventually ended up developing schizophrenia and note that they had no prior history of the illness in their families what so ever. Idk I just thought it was interesting.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention maybe we lack something in our diets? Low levels of b-12 are assosiated with many mental disorders.

1 Like

With serious mental illness- in most cases an interplay to varying degrees, from individual to individual, of biology/genetics and the environmental/social

Science has determined by mapping the human genome that it is deteriorating. This sounds like a good place to start. It explains why there are mutations in genes that can cause defect and be potentially passed down.

2 Likes

Evolution genetics… Daily routine…God…Satan…voodoo…the air…a simple fall…trama…feeling s…imagination…strees…drugs…alcohol…
Meds…microwave…cell phone…work…paranoia…feeling alone.

1 Like

Creative people get schizophrenia just as hardworking people (who also work in coal mines) get black lung disease.

J.

3 Likes

I blame it on a lack of potatoes . :wink:

1 Like

I ran over three potatoes on the freeway on my commute home from work today. It was a bloodbath and a slaughter out there today.

3 Likes

i think i lost all confidence in myself which led to an inability too deal with certain situations and also intrusive thoughts and it snowballed

Aw. I can relate. Hang in there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks but this was a long time ago aurora but i can look back and try and make sense of things, a bit like piecing things together, i do remember vaguely my pre-diagnosis when things started going wrong for me all those years ago (about 18 yrs ago when i was around 14/15 years old and in school)

I hadn’t heard of this before and had to look it up. I’m not sure whether I’m more sad or relieved.

1 Like

Even remembering and piecing things together can be hard. I hope you can make the best sence of it and move forward with all the pieces as a whole :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks, i’m trying my best and thats all i can do with this disease i guess,

1 Like

14 was about the age the overt psychiatric problems started with me beginning with what we now call social anxiety. I was at public school at the time. It took another 2.75 years before I saw a psychiatrist for the first time.
I think mine was due to social factors with a little familial psychiatric history thrown in (depression on the paternal side, neuroticism(mother)/odd behavour(distant relatives on the maternal side) )

1 Like

i remember feeling strange just before third year at school was maybe 14 at the time and i felt like nobody cared about me, my mum took me for school clothes but it was like she didn’t care, she was having her own problems at the time with her hearing so i get that now but not at the time bc i was just young.

Meh… it’s a mystery… different for everyone.

Some of us just can’t rationalize existence… especially in the modern world.

It is kind of surprising. This gives us a window into why all kinds of illnesses happen.