Who’s been shocked?

Who’s been shocked? I’m assuming some of the older people here have. Did it help or make it worse?

When I’m in psychosis I think it would do more harm than good. It would just feed into my delusions.

2 Likes

I don’t know exactly what you mean by shocked. Just the other day one of the things I read on this site truly shocked me.

When sz people used to go to mental hospitals they used to be shocked. I assume to try to shake people out of their psychosis.

1 Like

That is a really long time ago. But the side effects from the antipsychotics are shocking enough!!

1 Like

Shock therapy is terrifying. My memory’s bad enough as it is, I don’t want to be forgetting what my freaking name is after that kind of therapy.

1 Like

They still do it man! Just with anesthesia.

1 Like

Are you talking about ECT?

4 Likes

Yeah. Have you had it? It’s OK I’m not going to be complaining about it like Haldol!

When I was in the navy, on my ship this electricians mate that was my friend convinced me to get shocked with 1,000 volts. Me being the smart guy and saying YOLO I was like fuc it sure why not. So I grabbed the ends and he fired it up and moments later my hands fling away from the ends in the shock and I’m like well dam that kinda hurt lol. Good times. The stupid things we did in the military lol

I had a course of ECT in 1996. About six sessions I think. I had bad depression after having my first psychotic episode and being confined to hospital and losing my job. The first session was great because I woke up from the anaesthetic and had forgotten my situation. I thought I was back at university as a fresher.

3 Likes

When people are desperate they’ll try anything. Memory loss is a common side effect. A lot of the times people with schizophrenia are forced into treatment while people with depression do it willingly.

ECT can still be forced though!

I don’t remember them forcing me but yes it was a case of they wanted to try something different. They must have thought it worked because they discharged me soon after. Have you had ECT?

1 Like

No way. I will never have that. I don’t even feel depressed usually. I didn’t even want to take antipscyhotics for a long time.

1 Like

Good luck. The right AP makes a lot of difference. The reason why I was depressed I think was the choice of AP. Now I’m on one that agrees.

1 Like

Modern Ect is not that bad, some people had great results with it.

3 Likes

Thanks. I don’t really think it is a matter of luck. It’s a matter of dosing and managing side effects.

1 Like

Yeah it isn’t thaaaaaaaaat bad… But I still wouldn’t want to have a huge amount of electricity applied to my brain. There are people who say it helped, but there are also people who say they are victims of it.

So instead you’d want to take pills that alter your brain chemistry? Seems just as invasive.

I’ve heard quite a few success stories for ECT. I would get it if I get very bad again. Memory loss is literally nothing compared to being so depressed you cannot function as a human being.

5 Likes

I was electrocuted by a vacuum cleaner once. I won obviously.

5 Likes