Who is on depakote? Whats his effects on you?

I am on Depakote 1000 mg. But i feel something in my head. I still cant figure if its the Depakote or my illness.
who is on it here, please? Do you find it depressing or its even the opposite for you?

1 Like

Nobody on it here? How do you find it?

No side effects for me. Helped my anxiety and somewhat helped my depression. Made me get less mood swings.

Depakote stabilizes my moods and keeps things even keeled.
No highs and few lows.
The thing with Depakote it zaps the life out of me.
It’s very draining - I am constantly living on the couch basically.
It could be the combo of Depakote and Risperdal but yes Depakote is very sedating, especially true with me.

I am not sure that this med is helping me… I think i never had mania… I have false beliefs, that’s for sure, but not mania… My doc said to try to decrease it on 500 mg in the morning. I was on 1000 mg till now…
I feel my brain strangely and maybe this could be the Depakote…

I’ll never forget my first few days on Depakote. I was drooling, and I pooped on the carpet in the hospital against my will. (I was incontinent and the nurses got mad at me as if I did it on purpose). My hair started falling out too and I started gaining weight. It was horrible being on Depakote. And it did absolutely nothing for my mood. And I was on it for a long time. I haven’t been on it for many years now. Good riddance!!

Depakote reacted very badly with my body. I had a major psychotic break. I started seeing monsters following me around, I lost track of when and where I was, and I experienced suicidal depression for the first (and thankfully only) time in my life. And it took me six months of increasing doses to realize it was all because of the depakote.

But I have seen it do a lot of good for people, too. It all depends on the person.

My decreased dose is good for the moment. I feel a bit more alive, without the strange feelings in my head. I am still not stabilized but its my illness. I guess Depakote wasn’t working very good on me too… but i still have one pill of it in the morning.

I am trying the decreased dose now. I feel emptier in fact and more irritable. I can always go to the proper dose but i still want to see how i am gonna be without it… I think i experience some kind of withdrawal now. Or its the illness but i want to give myself a time just to see…
My mother says she is quite desperate from the life now, it makes me mad. Its always her problems… i know i shouldn’t react like this but even my pdoc said that my mom is occupied with her own problems very often.

the decreased dose doesn’t work people… I am going back again on 1000 mg. I became irritable and impatient… i am not sure its the withdrawal…

Depakote is a good drug. I have taken this medicin and I felt better. Dont give up. You have just to get used with it.

ok, thanks wiligv :). I felt bad today. More alive but in miserable state without it today. I just wanted to punch my mother, she says she is desperate also from her life… You see, i am not good. I was impatient too, i havent had the energy to do anything. Not that on it i have much more will and energy to do anything, but without it today it was worse i find…
pff, its very bad i guess that i dont have the strength anymore to fight…

I am used to it wiligv i guess. I was on it an year and a half. idk, my social isolation is so strong now that i became bad and desperate…

Hey, i tried to lower my dosage. But i thought i was becoming very ill with the lower dosage. I became irritable. I couldn’t calm me down enough to do something or to even watch a tv. I became very depressive and anxious too. I came back on the proper dosage now again. But i felt so bad without the Depakote that its strange for me that i need it so much. I started to even cant think without it to a point that i was having only bad thoughts… I thought that its the Zyprexa who calms me down but without the Depakote i was very very agitated. I ask myself now whats the Zyprexa then in my case? its strange, i just can say this…

If its a sedative drug, does it mean that it can help the anxiety and the fears? I became also very agitated and irritable without it. I thought that its the zyprexa who helps my agitation but i find now that the depakote helps me on this too wow :grinning:.

Depakote is Excellent at calming down anxious and agitated people.
I substituted Depakote for Klonopin.
Glad it’s helping you @Anna1.

Oh, I hope so. I started it again yes. I also became very numb without it, it was strange. I thought that the Zyprexa helps me on the numbness but no. I became very anxious from almost everything, agitated, I couldn’t even sit to watch a tv if you see… So now for me this means something else. I went really bad without it while I was thinking that the Zyprexa is helping me on those things…
thanks for the answer wave :slight_smile:
Ive also read somewhere on the net that Depakote can sometimes help the lack of emotions, the emptiness, do you find it helpful on this? in fact, I just lack the positive thoughts from which suffer my emotions too.

1 Like