Wondering if depakote is actually doing anything

Was it ever doing anything for me? Or was it just placebo effect? I’ve been thinking about it and I don’t know if my mood is any more stable than it has been. I think I just ignored when my old therapist would tell me this. I’ll have the occasional oasis of a comfortable week but chaos tends to strike again. I’ve not had any serious depressive episodes which is good, but lately I’ve been really noticing my normal anxiety and anger popping up. Not good…:disappointed::disappointed: I know depakote isn’t really supposed to work for depression. It’s focus is on mania but I can’t seem to convince my doc that I don’t get mania. I KNOW people who experience mania and I have NEVER experienced that. But the issue is I’ve tried so many different antidepressants and the only one that worked caused me long term bladder issues.

1 Like

I’m on it and I like it because it has no side effects on me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same side effects really minor. But I don’t want to be on a med if it’s not really doing anything :disappointed:

2 Likes

When I had a little depression, my pdoc upped my dose of Depakote

1 Like

If you are stable, and not manic, then, it is working. I would suggest staying on it.

2 Likes

I never really got mania to begin with though, I got depression and mood swings where I’d go from being fine and content to suicidal and it could happen very suddenly. I thought about it though, the mood swings have gotten less intense so that’s good, and I have still had a depressive episode on it but it was also less intense than normal so I’m not going to go off.

Depakote is a very effective med for mania and depression.
I would suggest you stay on it - it’s probably working behind the scenes.

I recently had my Depakote dose lowered a bit.
It’s still working for me but I’ve been experiencing withdrawals but increased energy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.