Where did you grow up?

I’m 43 and still live in the same house and neighbourhood I have all my life.

4 Likes

Medium-ish city in the Southeastern US (Deep South as someone else said), but where I lived was more like a suburb and in somewhat of a liberal bubble in a very conservative state.

I briefly lived on the northwestern coast, but came back and live in the same zip code I grew up in.

2 Likes

I grew up in the suburbs of Houston. I moved countless times around the area due to continuous custody battles (14 in 16 years). Went to nine different schools. My parents still live there. I will never go back, not even for their funerals.

6 Likes

Damn… @fractaled

I grew up in the suburbs where I had lots of neighborhood friends.

Overall had a happy childhood.

Things went haywire when I hit 20.

2 Likes

Was born and spent some child hood in a small mountain town, then middle school til this year suburbs of Reno/sparks NV, did some cool stuff there, never plan on going back.

1 Like

I had to move a bunch around the same mountain area I lived as a kid bcuz my bio dad kept stalking and trying to kidnap me, it sucks having to make all new friends again but it teaches you to socialize quickly I guess.

4 Likes

when i was in my early 20’s. my hometown was named one of the richest small towns in america by some publication, can’t remember which, it’s not like there is ultra rich people there, but mostly middle class to upper middle class with some wealthy people, but there are still poor people, the town has been booming for the last 30 years economically, lots of economy and good paying jobs, coupled with the lower cost of living and lower taxes of a conservative midwestern state, people have money to spend on new cars, boats, etc. personally i always worked ■■■■ jobs, never made more than $14/hr.

3 Likes

That’s terribly frightening. I had a similar situation with my father, but I was 15.

I was never able to get comfortable anywhere. There was one high school I went to, it was huge. I think 1000+ students in my ninth grade class. I was living with my grandmother at the time, doing extremely well there without knowing anyone. Was making B+, and a couple of As in all my classes. Then my dad took me out. I started failing at my new school and eventually dropped out after 11th grade. It’s incredibly difficult to move around so much, but my parents didn’t care. They were too committed to fighting each other.

1 Like

I grew up in a little town with a school that was shared by several towns in Minnesota. My childhood was happy until I met my abuser.

But things are just okay now. I still struggle but that’s nothing new. I just try to keep my mind active by trying new things.

-S

4 Likes

I grew up in Leicester, a medium sized city in the United Kingdom.

There is the city centre, which is not where I grew up. Then, there is an area called Highfields which is a residential neighbourhood just outside the city centre - glad to say I didn’t grow up there - crime is high and it’s not a very nice neighbourhood

I actually grew up three miles from the centre of the city, in a neighborhood called Evington. It was a privelge to grow up in this area - it has parks, good schools, good houses - lots of Indians driving fancy cars like Mercedes, BMW, Lamborghini

2 Likes

I grew up in Silicon Valley. It wasn’t called that when I was a kid though. It was a nice city with a population of about 23,000 about 65 miles south of San Francisco. When I was in elementary school the area was surrounded with orchards and fields.

It wasn’t high crime or anything, it was fairly safe. The railroad tracks ran right behind our apartments and i use to walk our dog down the tracks through the orchards and there was a bad area of shacks I kind of avoided. I would let my dog Lucy off her leash and there was a fenced in field with sheep in it about a mile down the tracks and she would get in and chase the sheep.

The electronic firms started springing up in the mid seventies. And by the eighties the orchards were being cut down for exclusive housing complexes and big firms like Memorex. I actually got a job at Memorex around 1980 through a temporary employment agency. I worked there three days. I was panicking and anxious but people probably just thought I was nervous.

The big economic boom of the nineties under Clinton was centered in Silicon Valley. It was the center of the worlds technology advances and millionaires were being made every week for several years. I was working at Sears at that time but my brother-in-law made a ton of money jumping from start up company to start-up company.

5 Likes

@77nick77 Both my parents grew up in what became Silicon Valley also. My mom was very poor. They were born in the early 50s.

4 Likes

1957-1958 Belgium Congo
1958-1961 Surrey,England
1961-1964 Bangkok
1965-1968 School in England . Home was San Francisco, but had home in the UK that was rented out.
1968- 1973 Essex,England
1973-1975 Zurich

4 Likes

Wow you’ve been alllll over @firemonkey

1 Like

You win for most interesting.

3 Likes

My father was a diplomat . He took early retirement in 1985 after serving as British consulate general(dean of the consular corps) in Atlanta. He was offered the post of Ambassador to Gabon but turned it down because he liked Atlanta so much.

2 Likes

I was raised in midwest city, okla. in an air force base town all my family worked there including my mother. My dad moved us at six to norman and I was exposed to the arts. hated football…played one season and the team beat me up so I quit the team I was so bad. still loved Norman , okla. a college town…learned banjo lessons there. at 13. became ceritified as a scuba diver too. family divorced then remarried with the same partners my mom and dad fought for three years while she put him through med school and then when I was 18 we moved to lindsay and I hated a small town. went to college back in Norman at 21 after working in the oil field and got a degree in architecture…loved it but it caused me mental damage I think towards being prodromal because of all the all nighters I spent in design studios in college…anyways…moved to a little suburb of okla. city when I was interning as a residental designer. hated the city…now I live in a small town again after living in Phoenix and Fort Walton Beach florida…wouldn’t dream of leaving this town…it’s close to my mom and sister and my brother just moved to Tulsa so we see him all the time too…

1 Like

Im currently in the same house i grew up in in the suburbs of canadas largest city

1 Like

@fractaled. You & Lofi had a terrible time!!

2 Likes