Whats your view on schizophrenia,what do you want to change about it?

Whats your view on schizophrenia,what do you want to change about it?

I’d like to keep the spiritual ecstasy that comes from certain psychological states, while doing away with critical voices and disturbing delusions.

I think schizophrenia is an alteration of the mind, something like a flexibility of the mind, that sometimes yields useful insights but usually yields delusions and other “negative” mental phenomena.

In a way, I don’t think I would be spiritual if I didn’t have schizophrenia (maybe I’m wrong, but I never was before onset)- so I consider my spiritual openness and aspirations to be a “positive” aspect of my altered brain state. In a way, I have the fear that if my schizophrenia were to be “cured”, I would lose the spiritual dimension of my personality. However, I do experience many disturbing phenomena as the result of this disease, so I’d probably be overall happier and less stressed if it was cured.

I’d like for someone other than me to have it, thanks.

2 Likes

It sucks and I wish I didn’t have it.

But now that I do have it, I will try to be kind to it.

On television they sometimes talk about someone with schizophrenia who has voices that actually tell them useful stuff. I want that like something would help me with math problems. Of course getting rid of it completely would be better.

1 Like

My view on sz - I wan’t it to disappear off the face of the earth.

1 Like

I’d want a cure for it. My view is that it sucks. Everything I had before I got ill just crumbled beneth me and left me hanging in twilight zone. I had a good job, was respected and had a lot of friends. Knew how to talk the talk and walk the walk. It’s all gone.

2 Likes

:-/,sorry to hear that,I feel like that too…Hope things changes

2 Likes

I am doing my best to find my way back. But it is a long way to go. My brain does not work as it used to do.

1 Like

It’s a truly medical disease. It’s a neurodevelopmental disorder which requires psychiatric and clinical psychological intervention, relatively intensive treatment for the rest of the patient’s life. There is some false notion that people with it are dangerous and unpredictable, when in reality were are afraid of danger more often than not, victims more often than perpetrators, and also predictable as a clock.

I want to show people that it is not a death sentence…also that it is not necessarily who we are. I mean I am a bit of an oxymoron about the whole “serious mental illness patient” thing when I do really well in the process of learning how to treat people like me. I often know what I need and where, sometimes how to get it, and I do perform. I have become very critical of myself, it is getting beyond introspective and into a bit masochistic in examining my flaws. Psychologists have corrected me in this pattern of behavior. I find it to be adaptive to an extent, but too much of a good thing…is too much. Basically, I just express being human and also being what people expect and even demand, while dealing with chronic schizophrenia…we are not machines who just manage schizophrenia and work and be perfect…no, we are flawed. I hate when people mistake the disorder for something that can be forgotten. Recovery is a lifelong process in the case of schizophrenia. Always flawed, always can improve. You know what? “Perfect” in some eyes is actually “defunct” in the eyes of others. It is about being aware of all parts of life, not saying “Oh I achieved this or that! I am fine!” -no that person is not fine…I achieved a whole lot and came out even more damaged.

It is a balanced life, no matter what. I dislike when I myself and others with SMI go insane with something other than schiz symptoms- that is just a different kind of insanity. Insanity is…aw whatever, do what you will.

I plan on working as a rehab psychologist and showing people what is known to be good for them. The end of the process is that people are human and do what they will even if they reach advanced stages in recovery. I got to a later, quite rare stage, I want to make sure others get their shot at mastering their demons like I did…and will keep doing, until I croak or become disabled to the truly dysfunctional degree. I mean I will do my best, I might fail, no one is invincible. The odds are that I will not fail, to be objective.

I wanna change the notion that it is just boom done smoked, dead, dirt nap. It is more like “Whoa this will bring some interesting and good stuff out of you if you choose to try to overcome this.” It is a crisis, absolutely. It is also an opportunity.

3 Likes

The change I would like to see is one that makes our experiences understandable to others, such that all kinds of issues relating to loneliness (even, or especially among others) can be resolved. This is a problem that will remain even when we have all the answers of neuroscience. Think of when you are talking about love (which is considered a close approximation to delusion), and trying to share your feelings with a friend or relative. Anyone taking recourse to talk of neurotransmitters here misses the point in my opinion. If that’s the only language available, I could even doubt if this person ever was in love, or even is familiar with it otherwise. We have another way of talking about such experiences, one that is readily understandable for most people in the world. I want such a language for schizophrenia.

1 Like