What's your take on polypharmacy?

I do take two aps, but mostly because one of them helps with depression. The Rexulti when added to an antidepressant helps with depression. I have serious problems with depression.

But how do you feel about taking two antipsychotics?

Sometimes it’s necessary when one isn’t doing the trick. I don’t know. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with it.

1 Like

I think for some it seems to work well. It’s so hard as it’s not an exact science and I think it’s probably not used enough. Not saying high doses but maybe lower doses as an addition to treatment.

2 Likes

Sometimes I wonder about how much I’m taking because I’m maxed on one and nearly maxed on the other. I think, is all that really necessary? And then I still have breakthrough symptoms, so idk.

I don’t like the idea of two full-time AP’s, for me. But one full-time AP plus a PRN / as needed AP is OK with me. I also take a mood stabilizer.

1 Like

It’s quite literally a mouthful. Of pills.

At least I was able to eliminate the blood pressure med by dropping some weight.

Still seems like I have a small handful every morning.

1 Like

I think it should just be one man and one woman.

2 Likes

I take 3 antipsychotics. One by injection every 3 week and 2 by mouth. I have been on the Clopixol injection for Quarter of a century and the geodon nearly two decades and the Seroquel for nearly on decade. If I don’t take my meds I get insomnia and psychosis. when I take all of my meds I have Zero positives. I don’t have any longtime effects like TD weight gain or diabetes. I don’t use drug or alcohol. Have taken the injection by own free will all the time. Because we have a family history of schizophrenia.
I am currently on. 500 mg clopixol every 3 weeks. 600 mg seroquel by mouth. And 160 mg geodon by mouth

1 Like

I do well on Haldol and Seroquel. I was in Veterans hospital once that would only prescribe 1 AP. It was their rule.

1 Like

It should generally be avoided and is way too common.

2 Likes

I think it works for some people,

But I personally wouldn’t do it if it were recommended.

1 Like

If it works, why not.

1 Like

it works for me. I’m on risperdal consta and clozapine and it works for me.

2 Likes

I was on 2 antipsychotics for a few years. The first one stopped working so I had to go on a second one while I weened myself off the first one. Now I take an AP and a Benzo in addition to 3 other meds for side effects. So far it’s all worked out pretty good.

You just gotta do what works, as long as there are no intolerable side effects I don’t see a problem with it.

1 Like