What's your take on polypharmacy?

I do take two aps, but mostly because one of them helps with depression. The Rexulti when added to an antidepressant helps with depression. I have serious problems with depression.

But how do you feel about taking two antipsychotics?

Sometimes it’s necessary when one isn’t doing the trick. I don’t know. I don’t think that there is anything wrong with it.

1 Like

I think for some it seems to work well. It’s so hard as it’s not an exact science and I think it’s probably not used enough. Not saying high doses but maybe lower doses as an addition to treatment.

2 Likes

Sometimes I wonder about how much I’m taking because I’m maxed on one and nearly maxed on the other. I think, is all that really necessary? And then I still have breakthrough symptoms, so idk.

I don’t like the idea of two full-time AP’s, for me. But one full-time AP plus a PRN / as needed AP is OK with me. I also take a mood stabilizer.

1 Like

It’s quite literally a mouthful. Of pills.

At least I was able to eliminate the blood pressure med by dropping some weight.

Still seems like I have a small handful every morning.

1 Like

I think it should just be one man and one woman.

2 Likes

I take 3 antipsychotics. One by injection every 3 week and 2 by mouth. I have been on the Clopixol injection for Quarter of a century and the geodon nearly two decades and the Seroquel for nearly on decade. If I don’t take my meds I get insomnia and psychosis. when I take all of my meds I have Zero positives. I don’t have any longtime effects like TD weight gain or diabetes. I don’t use drug or alcohol. Have taken the injection by own free will all the time. Because we have a family history of schizophrenia.
I am currently on. 500 mg clopixol every 3 weeks. 600 mg seroquel by mouth. And 160 mg geodon by mouth

1 Like

I do well on Haldol and Seroquel. I was in Veterans hospital once that would only prescribe 1 AP. It was their rule.

1 Like

It should generally be avoided and is way too common.

2 Likes

I think it works for some people,

But I personally wouldn’t do it if it were recommended.

1 Like

If it works, why not.

1 Like

it works for me. I’m on risperdal consta and clozapine and it works for me.

2 Likes

I was on 2 antipsychotics for a few years. The first one stopped working so I had to go on a second one while I weened myself off the first one. Now I take an AP and a Benzo in addition to 3 other meds for side effects. So far it’s all worked out pretty good.

You just gotta do what works, as long as there are no intolerable side effects I don’t see a problem with it.

1 Like

What doses of both do you take as polypharmacy

Typically, we like to leave inactive threads alone and just start a new thread instead. This is different than how some forums are run, but we do it this way because it frequently upsets users to have old topics revived when they are no longer relevant. It can also be frustrating to the person who revived the thread when they don’t get a reply, because the original poster is no longer active or no longer finds the topic relevant. Feel free to start a new thread on this topic.

Thanks,

Volunteer Moderator

1 Like