What to do?

No but its not a partial dopamine agonist like Abilify and I read that its the worst for heart problems, QT interval.

1 Like

I have no side effects from Geodon.

I was well on 40 mgs but I started taking it without food. Now I am on 80 mgs, and doing well. I will cut it back to 40 mgs soon. You should definitely try it-- I know some doctors think it is not a strong medication. But, I wasn’t well on Clozapine/Abilify, combination and I tried a whole bunch of medications before the Geoden/Abilify combination wiped my symptoms out.

1 Like

How many calories do you need to eat with it and I think its taken 2x/day?

1 Like

500 calories and it is taken twice a day.

But, the good news for me is that, there is no excessive hunger, and after ten years I have been losing weight on a combination.

3 Likes

If you have not tried Latuda, it is also weight neutral and less heavy on side effects.

It would be a good idea to keep 2/3 medications in mind before going for a change. Also, you may, like me, get unwell for a prolonged period before getting well and stable on a oombination.

If Risperidone works for you, then I would keep it in the mix, and gradually taper it off.

1 Like

I did try Latuda was on 80mg for a year but had horrible side effects and didnt work well for my psychosis. I had insomnia, akathisia, nausea, weight gain as much as Risperdal, positive symptoms etc

Oh ok. Have you tried Saphris?

I have no positive symptoms now on 6mg Risperdal and I think the equivalent Geodon dose is 160mg.

No, thats not used here.

1 Like

No, there is no equivalent dose. I was on Clozapine 800 mgs and I had a partial response on that dose of the strongest medication there was. In theory they might be equivalent, but in practice anything may work for you.

Likewise, a lot of what the psychiatrists say regarding how the medication works is theory, and I don’t believe it is fully understood how they work.

1 Like

Ok. But, Geoden, Saphris, Vraylar-- these are your options. Where are you located? Are these medications not available where you live?

1 Like

I want to try Vraylar, always wanted to but its not available here. Only Geodon is available here out of those in Canada. You have no side effects from Geodon? Some ppl here said they got heart problems and fainting from it.

1 Like

No, this is the only medication apart from Abilify which didn’t have any side effects for me.

Clozapine was the worst. I was surviving on it…12 hours of sleep, no life, nothing…

Risperdal made me gain a lot of weight. Besides, I couldn’t get out of the bed with this medication. It was ineffective as well.

1 Like

That is strange. These medications are not available in Canada. I wouldn’t have imagined that.

Have you tried Amisulpride?

1 Like

Its not available either in Canada or in the US.

1 Like

This is tough luck There isn’t Amisulpride like in other parts of the world, and no Saphris/Vraylar like in the US.

I think Saphris/Latuda/Geoden/Abilify/Vraylar are good medications, the newer ones. I had horrible experiences with SGAs.
I think you could try Geoden, but you have to be very careful. You don’t want to be in a situation where nothing works. IF you want to try it, taper Risperdal very, very slowly to make sure Geoden can replace it.

I am a genuine risk taker, and for a better life, I could risk having a worst life. Therefore, I opted to change the dreaded Clozapine. Though every psychiatrist told me it was a lifetime medication.

1 Like

Yea I will ask my Dr 28 August about Geodon. Hopefully 120mg should be enough. Thanks.

1 Like

No problem. You should definitely consult your doctor.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.