What’s the best way to deal with hallucinations of burning smells?

Right now my response is to check all the power sockets in the flat and this is getting tiring. It’s hard not to check though because burning smell demands my attention

2 Likes

Some people with temporal epilepsy have that iirc.

2 Likes

How often do you brush your teeth?

2 Likes

Twice a day. Can that cause a burning smell?

1 Like

I had a roommate that never brushed his teeth. It made me gag because it made the whole room smell like barf lol.

1 Like

If you didn’t brush your teeth that might be significant. Since you do we’ll just rule that out.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks for the idea though

1 Like

Do you vape in your flat?

1 Like

I was wondering if it might be the vape but have checked and it is not.

Have had the best exact same smell in my mums house and car so pretty sure it is an hallucination

2 Likes

Could you light a scented candle or spray an air freshener? I’ve never had olfactory hallucinations, but when I had auditory ones, drowning them out with other noise helped. Maybe it would be the same?

1 Like

I have some incense sticks

2 Likes

I get that too!
I check that nothing is burning and then I leave the doors open so I can smell if it’s getting worse.

1 Like

Also, if you can’t locate the source of the smell, then most likely it’s a hallucination or coming from outside.

1 Like

Scented nasal tobacco. Your from Europe right. There’s all kinds of shops over there.

Honestly, the first step is to make sure that something’s not actually burning. Once you’ve done that, I guess just try and let it be while doing something that will take your mind away from the hallucination, same with all hallucinations really. Unless your voices say something really stupid. Then you should tell us about it so we can all laugh at it (you don’t have to do that part; I’m just messing).

I apologize in advance, but…

Hallucinate either some spray de-odorizer or a fire extinguisher.

2 Likes

I get this too… it’s such a hassle sometimes but I cannot make myself ignore it.

1 Like

Lol @77nick77 - made me :joy:

1 Like

I know right - how can you just ignore a burning smell. You have to react

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.