What’s the best antipsychotic?

Hmm.,

What a question.,

I chooze invega and propranolol., Tha rest ar meds 4 tha side effects.,

I fought against meds for years., Paid tha price. But!., But!., My body, my choice.,

But!., Tha government tried to go mai way, and I ended up inn a coma.

But!., But!., Without that battle, theeze scars, I wouldn’t bee hoo i am today.,

So what’s tha shortcut?.,

Without scars.,

Without agony.,

Without pain.,

Endless tears and horrific regret.,

As mai therapist says, you can’t help thoze who don’t want help.,

Here!.,

True thus.,

Pick up a bible and read psalms.,

You.

Yes you.

Are not.,

Not alone.

I like Invega at 234mg once a month. I take riperdone 1mg 2x a day when I feel the Invega wear off about a week before my shot.

I’m on Risperdal and am experiencing few side effects. Been on it since 2011. I’m overweight and having trouble losing any.

1 Like

Well so far the best AP for me has been Clozaril. I’ve tried a few other drugs such as Quetiapine (didn’t manage all my symptoms), Aripiprazole (made my mood symptoms worse), Ziprasidone (again, didn’t manage all my symptoms) and Olanzapine (made me gain weight so i requested to go off this).

What works best for you may be different to what works best for me. You may experience wonderful results on Aripiprazole (Abilify), whereas i didn’t. It is really an individual thing. If you’re having so much trouble with your current regime, maybe you could talk to your pdoc about having a medication review. They are usually agreeable to try different medications until you both find something that works well.

1 Like

I have tried quiet a lot of medications and some I had in Sweden actually made me worse and I was on so many medications then including ones that are illegal overseas.

My last hospitalisation I was put on olanzapine and it acted calming and slightly sedating which was good.
The only side effect I remember having was 23kg weight gain.

I am on latuda now.
Started on 40mg and am now on 120mg.
Latuda seems more “activating” I can get anxiety,panic,hysteria ,jaw clenching leading to ear ache and slight head ache …but despite these side effects it still seems to help me and it’s more weight neutral .

Today I have no jaw clenching.:tada:.

My dr said those side effects will probably ease off /away.

I can not remember all the other medications I was on .
Lergigan ,theralen I seemed to drewl on and risperidal …

Just two weeks ago I was thinking I had to break contact with my family and my boyfriends family and friends too and I thought I had to move out because of them etc

Now I am completely turned changed about that.

Thankful for our medication.

If I was to change medication I would want to try geodon cause I have a feeling it might suit me and work well for with me.

It’s great to not have the weight gain olanzapine gave but if other medications were not working it’s nice that it’s (olanzapine)is there to “fall back on”.
I think it’s a helpful medication.

Thankful for our medication.:pray:t3::two_hearts::metal:t5:

I think the side effects of latuda might only last a few weeks and then go away.

I think latuda helps me.

Thank you for my latuda and other medication and supplements.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m taking 6mg of Invega now and I’m very stable. It took a long time to adjust to it but I’m glad I stuck it out.

1 Like

I like saphris for it’s anti-psychotic properties and I like rexulti for it’s anti-depressant properties, for me they make a good little team, but I’m still not back to work so I guess I really can’t brag about their result. But I’m not trying to kill myself every other day so It’s a big improvement from where I was. But as far as the side effects go, compared to others I’ve tried (risperdone,geodon,haldol,latuda,abilify) they are really quite mild.

I am stable on olanzapine. I take 25mg. Other pills didn’t work.

For me it’s Amisulpride. I take 800mg.

I have tried Rispiridone, Olanzapine, Latuda, Haldol, Abilify etc

Amisulpride has minimal side effects and it seems to work mostly. Even when I get symptoms, it makes me so calm that they only rarely get on my nerves.

1 Like

What kind of side effects do you get with invega?

1 Like

I take 9mg Invega in the mornings.

I had some side-effects for the first two weeks, like extreme hunger and loss of appetite at the same time, but that’s about it. After the two weeks they lessened a lot.

Invega has helped me with my voices and paranoia, and it makes me less tired than Abilify did.

1 Like

Best is relative. I’ve tried several and only vraylar worked.

I get a monthly injection of Sustenna Invega - 156mg. I started with 234mg and eventually got it lowered. So far I’m not hallucinating, I’m not delusional, voices are virtually non existent, I don’t talk to myself, I have insight into my illness and I’m am firmly grounded in reality.

I gained 20 lbs but I’ve managed to lose most it. I don’t feel sedated, no brain fog, and the side effects I can deal with which are sexuallly related. I function good most of the time but have cognitive and memory issues which hopefully get better with time. My mind is getting clearer and clearer as time has gone by and things seem to be getting better as well.

I also take Wellbutrin 200mg for depression and have slight insomnia. Other than that I’m doing a lot better than where I was a year ago.

3 Likes

At first the worst thing was dizziness. There were a few times when I was in a store and thought I might faint because I was so dizzy. This passed after a couple weeks. Invega also raises prolactin levels (male and female reproductive levels). It’s also hard for me to motivate myself to do things but I can do it. It just takes a little more strength. For me all of this has been worth it because I rarely hear voices or see things anymore. I never thought I’d be free of the voices but I pretty much am now. Worth it for me.

1 Like

I feel like the side effects of Risperidone are outweighed by the positive effects, Risperidone ended my two year psychosis.

1 Like

I tried risperdal but didn’t like the way it made me feel. I currently use a 1st generation antipsychotic (which I generally find better) stelazine aka trifluoperazine. It’s the best I’ve had.

Sleepiness is the worst side effect. There is also some overeating (but not extreme like some modern medicines). Some reduction in libido, but not bad.

Low dose haldol for me. Old-fashioned, but less side effects than the few newer meds I tried. On higher doses I had emotional blunting, depression and fatigue. Which is no fun, but the newer meds I tried had all that plus all sorts of extras. Withdrawal from haldol is also less severe than from zyprexa or so, in case you ever want to come off or switch.

Friends are on other stuff… zyprexa, seroquel… and swear by that. So it differs for all.

1 Like

Zyprexa withdrawal is a bad experience. It made me feel so ill. I am so glad I stood up to the doctors and got them to take me off it. I put on so much weight.

I like Amisulpride. I have done well on it the last few months and now I have come off it. I hope it has made things calm enough the last few months that I can continue without it.

Risperidone made me gain weight, and gave me a little anxiety.
Amisulpride gave me depression.