What one thing would you change about your past if you thought it might make you not sz now? Or would you have ended up sz anyway?

I would like to have not smoked so much weed.

1 Like

Smoking tobacco. I started at 26 and IMMEDIATELY went downhill.

1 Like

I would have tried harder to be more social as a kid/teenager.

2 Likes

I probably would change several things. If only one, probably would have happened anyway…

1 Like

uhhh not much. It started by being born into my family. Mine is hereditary and I already had symptoms during my teenage years.

1 Like

I wonder what would have become of me if I didn’t join the army. When I was in it was before the Reagan military build up, and the army was like a factory that produced alcoholics. I voted for Reagan in 1980 just for his defense policy. I shocked my family when I joined the army. A lot of people said they didn’t think I was the type. One scenario for where I’d be if I hadn’t joined the army is that I might have become a broken down, alcoholic attorney, just waiting for my kids to grow up so I could kill myself. Then again, my life might have been pure domestic bliss. I was strongly predisposed towards alcoholism, though. I probably would have become an alcoholic no matter what I did.

2 Likes

I would have ended up sza anyway. It’s genetic in my case. I might not have ever touched pot.

1 Like

i would have never touched substances. i was addicted to alcohol when i was 15

1 Like

I would have told my mom not to get the flu in her second trimester since it’s been shown this can trip the genes in those already genetically predisposed. MI on both sides of the family…

1 Like

I might have tried to get therapy sooner and called the police :rotating_light: on the knife :hocho: welding that I lived with!

2 Likes

Not much I could change… I was very young and powerless.

1 Like

Mother has sz, so does her brother. MI on my dad’s side too. I’m 19 years old and I started to show symptoms as young as 8. Maybe I’d have preferred to grow up in a loving setting instead of an abusive environment. I guess I would’ve become schizophrenic too, but at least without the personality disorders or the ptsd.

3 Likes

I would have severed my religious ties the second I was uncomfortable.

No doubt, I’d still be crazy,

But having a religious family and being involved with that community really messed me up.

I suffered greatly and unnecessarily because of religious zealots.

I’m not sure that I really could have changed anything, I told my parents how much I hated everything, but they thought it that was a sign that I needed even further exposure.

It was bad.

But its over and my son won’t have to deal with that crap.

3 Likes

I would have never used drugs.

4 Likes

I think I’d end up with schizophrenia anyway. If I could go back I’d probably not smoke anything or drink alcohol. Before schizophrenia I drank nearly everyday. It was fun at the time. It is something I wonder about. Those things may have increased my chances of developing schizophrenia. I do have a feeling I’d still develop schizophrenia as I was always a bit off. Well not noticeably just in my mind.

1 Like

I think it was inevitable unless you live in a vacuum.
people will add and subtract unless you’re a hermit.

1 Like

I don’t know if it would’ve helped but I wouldn’t have used meth, x, spice, and bath salts.

i still use mj

Would have been nice not to have been beaten/raped as a kid. One of those things where no matter how much you get rid of, you can’t get rid of it all. No idea if that contributed to SZ or not, but… Just wish I could be free of remembering and dreaming about it every so often.

Here here, zeno!

I don’t know that it would’ve kept me from getting schizophrenia, but might have helped with the severe isolation which definitely made it worse.

1 Like

I can’t think of anything that would have prevented the schizophrenia. But I can think of things that would have made it more manageable.