What happens after 10 years of schizophrenia?

i am still in year 8 of schizophrenia
better more than the first 3 years it was more like torture
now less voices no panic attacks
but there is little depression and fear of the future and sleep attacks during day
sleep too much
thanks frnds
what happens after 10 years of schizophrenia ?
anyone knows ??

7 Likes

I’m still here after so many decades. Your mileage may vary,

Jayster

16 Likes

You continue to evolve & learn how to deal with the condition. Take your Meds

8 Likes

I’m 34 now and became ill when I was 17. The worst period of my life was in my late 20’s when it seemed to turn there.

Things have improved and settled down very well for me now with good help and compliance from me. I am not going to and fro all over the globe. I am settled now around my family. They are happier than ever to see me like this.

I wish I could get rid of sz. But i do think it improves.

6 Likes

Things have improved for me too.

Things can get better .

I also had years of feeling tortured.
Agony!

I still have symptoms and have been hospitalised a few times but it is so much better now.

I can even see humour in things that used to agonise me.

I nolonger hear voices.
I heard moanes,screams,gunshots, nasty torturing psychology talk, nasty words etc

I am so happy and blessed that I nolonger hear that 24/7 that went on for years.

8 Likes

After ten years of schizophrenia I had finally gotten into a relationship and things were going well. I was exercising regularly for the first time since high school … wonderful time of my life. Began to travel.

7 Likes

I was diagnosed about 9 years ago. It all seems to be about finding the right meds. I was on abilify for a year and looking back I was doing well. Then I came off meds for 2 years and was barely coping and had a psychotic break and ended up in hospital.

Then I went through lots of other meds for years until going back on abilify which worked.

I’ve been on abilify and stable for 4 years now.

So as far as I’m concerned it’s 4 years and not 9 years.

I wonder If I had stayed on abilify from the beginning would I be higher functioning now.

4 Likes

Hey everhopeful are u divorcee…

1 Like

After ten years no meds I was deeply delusional, had regular suicidal ideation, and was tormented by hallucinations. I survived but I believe damage was done. If you’re in treatment, stay in treatment, whatever that may be… things have gotten better for me anyway because I never did give up. Don’t give up and I believe things have to get better.

I was dx’ed at 14, 37 now. At ten years I was being hospitalized less often, because I got better at dealing with the hallucinations. They hadn’t gotten any better.

To be clear I have sza.

You know what Med works for you. Insist that you get it.

1 Like

I haven’t hit the ten year mark yet. Will hit that mark this summer in 2018. Will let you know

At 10 years you get the coveted gold sz pocketwatch.

Just kidding, sorry :slightly_smiling_face: but you should get something for the accomplishment.

5 Likes

Depends, for example if you have been off meds and delusional you are likely to have lost many IQ points and there is a chance that that loss of contact with reality will be permanent.

Have you tried antidepressants? They might improve your mood.

Your nose hair starts poking out, lol.

But seriously, I’m 56 and I’ve had paranoid schizophrenia since I was 19. Early in my career as a professional schizophrenic I often heard that as you get older the symptoms diminish. It became true for me starting in my mid-forties. When I reached that age many symptoms became less intense and a few bothersome delusions disappeared.

I can’t guarantee it for anyone else but I’ve heard similar stories. Currently, I often get peace of mind. I can’t force it or predict when it will happen next but it comes. Just three weeks ago, I was parked in my car at a kind of shady place at night and all of a sudden, fear left me. I’m usually not even aware of how much fear is in me but all of a sudden I was calm and I realized that nothing was happening and I felt good.

Obviously, I still suffer from the effects of schizophrenia and I have many personal problems but these last things I mentioned were big reliefs and made life more enjoyable and tolerable. I hope this helped. Good luck.

Damn nose hairs.

7 Likes

i am on my 8th year of schizophrenia.
the most dysfunctional period was in my 2nd year where i could not talk and could barely speak a sentence

1 Like

No idea, but I am so glad to hear a positive story here. Glad to hear you are resting correctly and you are healing.

When did you begin to be able to speak sentences again? Alogia is a symptom i suffer from too.

memories kinda foggy since its been about 6 or 7 years ago, but from what i remember i was living next door to my parents and i sat in the dark alot in the corner of the living room and would laugh at my own jokes i thought of or from what was going on inside.
basically i think it took about 1 to 3 months to get through the mute phase. i didnt want to talk to anyone and it was not so much as i did not want to its that i felt like i could not function verbally to express how i was feeling because inside i could not feel anything or a lot or lethargy

1 Like