What do you regret most in your life?

I think I would only regret hurting someone on purpose in my life or having guilt of some sort. when you can sleep at night comfortable and rest your head on the pillow - you are in the right path.

I know is just the random why I thing and that She would of just listened smiled and gone it would of turned out the same.

Is the not speaking up at the time the “what if”

1 Like

I understand. I go through the same thing with my dad and a few others. But the sad reality is sometimes people just die, and nothing can change that.

1 Like

well, I dunno. I sort-of feel like I did the best I could with what I was given. My circumstances were very difficult. I got a whole list of woulda-coulda-shoulda-

Oh well. Fast forward a couple decades and I have my chance to go to college and create the life I want now.

2 Likes

Yes. When She died everything changed for me and I spend a lot of year trying to get back the life I had and failing as the key part was gone. I still have trouble dealing with things as they are and giving up the wish to return to that point of life.

1 Like

I could regret many things that I did or did not do in my past life, but I just do not have energies to regret anything, but I still want to learn from my mistakes and continue my life, maybe then at the age 80, 30 years from now, I look back and see whether I made same mistakes again. 30 years is a long time. But what I am proud of? I am proud that I helped my father to lengthen his life, for example. I do not want to waste my time to regret anything.

3 Likes

I regret that I didn’t accept a part of myself sooner rather than trying to repress it in the hopes that it would disappear. It’s very weird and totally harmless at the same time. I think if I would have embraced this particular aspect of myself earlier I would have been a little happier in my younger years.

Think my biggest is not getting into therapy along time before I did get into it. Would of solved most of the other regrets.

Quite a few things I did while addicted to crack. My dad helped me a lot during my disease. He helped me from day one after I got diagnosed. I probably wouldn’t be alive today if it weren’t for him. He supported me and visited me every day for 8 months while I was locked up in the psychiatric hospital. He let me live with him when I was 27 or 28 when I got kicked out of my studio apartment for not paying rent.

And I re-payed him by wrecking his two Cadillac’s, lying to him all the time, knocking on his neighbors doors who I didn’t know and borrowing money from them for crack, and a host of other stupid unthinking things. He lent me his cars and I let them get stolen 4 or 5 times. And he didn’t kick me out of house like he had every right to. He didn’t turn his back on me.

The worse thing I did was that when I was about 7 years old about 50 years ago me and my mom and my two sisters chipped in and bought him a nice tool box for Christmas. Our family was not a rich one and we didn’t have a lot of stuff so he would never have spent money on himself on buying the tool box. So he really appreciated the gift. Through the years he filled it up with various tools. He used to work on the California freeways as a maintenance man and he was always finding tools on the side of the freeway.

And he put them in his toolbox. But his most prized possession in there was a small socket set that had belonged to his father when his father was a machinist in a prison in the 1930’s and 1940’s. It was irreplaceable. And on one crack binge I ran out of money so I was getting gas in my dads car and I sold the tool chest with the socket set in it to some stranger for twenty bucks. It’s one of the most selfish, stupidest, disrespectful things I’ve ever done. He had that toolchest for 40 years. When I had to tell him what I did I was lucky he didn’t kill me or beat me up. But even though he had a horrible temper he was not like that. He was more hurt and disappointed in me than mad. And that made me feel worse then if he had hit me.

3 Likes

I regret joining the army. When I joined up in 1977 it was a different army than today’s army. Pay was low, moral was bad, and the leadership confused. Everyone drank a lot. When I was in, the army was like a factory that produced alcoholics. Before I went in I had been accepted at Washington University at St. Louis, a very good school. My parents were ready to pay my whole way. What I regret most about it was the disruption of my intellectual development because I joined the army. When I was eighteen I was ready to blossom intellectually. Instead, I joined the army and spent four years drinking myself silly every night. When I think about where I would be intellectually if I hadn’t joined the army in 1977 I ache with remorse.

On the other hand - I’ve always had ample time to further my intellectual development on my own, which I have done, at least to a small extent. Also, I would have become an alcoholic even if I hadn’t joined the army. I got to see Germany. What a beautiful country! I also would have become sz even if I hadn’t joined the army. And I did have some good experiences in the army. I did my four years and got out with an honorable discharge, but just barely. In 1980 I voted for Ronald Reagan solely for his defense policy. The army got better when he was in office. When I was in we didn’t have a strong faith in ourselves as an effective fighting force. We didn’t think we could beat Russia. They had 45,000 tanks, and we had 7,000, and our tanks were not better than theirs. They outnumbered us many times in every catagory of weaponry.

Today I sometimes regret joining the army, but then I think that my life today has rewards that it wouldn’t have if I didn’t join the army, so I say, “what the heck”.

2 Likes

I regret my primary college plans. I really didn’t plan out college well. If I had made better plans, I would probably have an associates degree now.

I regret when I played soccer my 8th grade year in school because I didn’t try. It was a peer pressure thing. Nobody respected the coach. When I got in high school it was hard to try because I had a habit to not try on the soccer field.

1 Like

Starting drinking when so young, just picked the wrong road

1 Like

Choosing to be born!

“The wise choose death before war, but the wiser choose not to be born.” - said that awesome dragon in Drakengard

1 Like

I regret most of the time that a girl insulted me such that although I was said sorry to her.

1 Like

I regret nothing…I don’t need it weighing me down and my memory isn’t good enough for me to recall all my mistakes…mistakes is why I was born…mistakes happen to us all…own them shits don’t let them own you…Sz have enough ghost and demons we didnt ask for or deserve…we don’t need our past choices haunting us too…

1 Like

I regret not getting my degree, and letting the girl that got away, get away.

But maybe things turned out for the best, as my life took a much much different path. And I guess I’m still here. Maybe I wouldn’t be here If I did either of those 2 things.

3 Likes

I regret i parted with my family use to life alone in apartment where i couldn’t improve my health instead due to stress lack of positivism sleeplessness days …!!! Lack of knowledge…!!! I suffered in that apartment …and i got SZ…!!! I wish i could have lived with my parents …I could have raise myself facing my family it was the best option before separation ,!!! Alone life full of bad knowledge…!!

2 Likes

a lot of people insult each other back and forth all the time - sometimes just a reaction for a difference of opinion, other times intentionally and some other times for the sake of talking?! Just don’t take words seriously because they are just words with no meaning and simply not true.

Right now I don’t have any regrets - but sometimes it just gets intense and I regret everything.
Most of the decisions in my young years were just young stuff and when I grew older - with mental illness, I am not doing that bad at all. You can not really blame yourself for things you can not really control during psychosis.