What do Native Americans really think about Thanksgiving?

5 Likes

what do you think about it being a native american?

1 Like

Well I was raised “white” so I’m fine with it. I can see their point though.

1 Like

You take no sides. Smart :tulip:

I have a Native American friend and he shared something on FB that is simple and to the point.

The Natives will feed you and teach you to plant corn. The Pilgrims will return the favor by stealing your land and killing your family.

It’s so true. Natives got screwed over big time.

6 Likes

Or they’ll give you blankets with smallpox and kill you that way.

3 Likes

Unfortunately also true. I’m only a little Dakota so I have no tribal ties but you can definitely see it in my mom.

All Finns and Swedes on my dad’s side.

1 Like

My dad

4 Likes

When I was in America I visited many Native American reservations. I had some kind of self-removal experience in one Pueblo Taos village in Sept 1999. Well, the time has passed.

2 Likes

@Joker posted this in @Zoe quote thread. I don’t blame them for any anger they have. Right now in Canada we are going through a period of reconciliation with indigenous peoples, and a bunch of unmarked graves were found from the residential school system (An attempt to assimilate native children).

06a8a10c7a58f70e5dad599b367c06febfa6a166_2_500x500

2 Likes

Honestly your dad looks like that friend of ours. Very little difference.

1 Like

Tomorrow is Indigenous People’s Day, which just so happens to fall on one of the most consumerist days of the American calendar: Black Friday.

…Quite an odd juxtaposition if you think about it.

6 Likes

Google said IPD in the United States is 10/11

2 Likes

Interesting! For some reason my calendar has it listed as tomorrow :upside_down_face:.

1 Like

You live in the USA? I googled it and that’s what Wikipedia says. Could be wrong though. I’ll double check.

2 Likes

I dont like thanks giving either … Native americans should given reservation in govt offices politics … I wanna see native american being a President of United States … I am with White and Native american both … Lets not dig into the pasts …

Indigenous people’s day is a replacement for Columbus day. Today is native heritage day

2 Likes

Us Scandinavians don’t have a very good history with how we treated the indigenous people here either. And we still have to improve.

2 Likes

Oh ok thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve been studying a bit of Lakota for the past year. The Lakota homeland is in the Black Hills of South Dakota. If anyone cares to join me, there are about 20,000 learners hoping to revitalize the language. If you’re interested, there is the Lakota Language Consortium online to start and/or several free apps you can download to your phone (search : Lakota)
wanzi(1)
nupa
yamni
topa
zaptan
shakpe
shakowin
shagalohah
napauacah
wikchemina (10)
pretty cool huh!

2 Likes