What are some goals you have achieved despite sz?

What are some goals you have achieved despite sz?

Here is a recent goal I’ve achieved despite being diagnosed for 16 years now:

I have recently made 3 good friends and I’m getting out of the house a bit now, which makes me feel more fulfilled and happier.

And I was told I would never get better by a nurse at the state psych hospital but I’m seeing a private psych dr now too! No more case manager or ATO even!

9 Likes

That’s amazing :star_struck:. It gives me some hope.

3 Likes

Aw thanks so much @everhopeful !!

2 Likes

I have remained in contact with some old friends.
Good relationship with my family.
Spent 3 months in Barcelona.
Got a Bachelors in Health Sciences with voices.
Volunteered for half a year in a museum
Going to start chiropractic school

9 Likes

Wow! Awesome job @Jonathan2 !! Very happy for you! Keep up the good work! Chiropractic school is very cool! You’ll do great!

2 Likes

Thanks. I love it when people are excited for me. Shows the best side of this forum!

2 Likes

I’ve never been a very goal oriented person as far as “life goals” go. I tend to play it by ear. My goals are much more immediate. I guess I’ve just dieted down 30 kg, does that count as a goal achieved despite schizophrenia? I really can’t tell because it’s not like schizophrenia made it harder to stay on the diet, some antipsychotics might have, but I’ve not been taking those while dieting so…

I’ve achieved some of my goals when it comes to managing my inner experience despite schizophrenia but somehow I don’t feel like achieving a calm mind is the type of goal we are talking about here. My goals tend to be internal rather than external and schizophrenia certainly created a whole host of internal issues and with them a whole host of goals, some of which I achieved but I am not sure they are what’s being asked here.

I guess I haven’t achieved any goals, I haven’t had any. I did make strides in my quality of life by enriching my realization and achieving an emptier and clearer mind over time. That’s been my overall goal ever since this whole struggle started and that’s what I’ve been working towards but it’s an illusory self-assessment of how much I find enjoyable experiencing life through my eyes and it’s not something you ever achieve, there’s always a next step. Currently I’d like to improve my focus, especially when it comes to listening but I’ve been having issues making progress.

2 Likes

Really the only goal I achieved post sz is staying sober

4 Likes

I often look at my life and think,

What have I done?

Have I ruined my one shot at human life by having this illness and various other character flaws?

I have to literally look around and remind myself where I actually am.

I got through school.

I’m married and think my husband is pretty cool.

I had a child and gave him the best life possible.

My surroundings are neat and clean.

My house is nice.

I have two dogs that think I’m like a god.

I’ve used CBT to better control my severe symptoms.

Everyday I do things to better my life and my family’s life.

Even if it’s dumb like doing laundry.

I’m at a particularly low point in my life, but I’m still pretty much killing it.

So, I’m proud of me.

8 Likes

Been employed most of the last 42 years.
Been at my current job for 13 years, a personal record.
Got my Associates degree.
Lived on my own for 20 years.
Stayed out of the hospital for 25 years, then went in for one day and now I’ve been out 8 years.
I’ve been clean and sober for 34 years.
Lived by myself for 6 1/2 years.

7 Likes

My first two psychiatrists wrote me off. One old me they could try and make me comfortable in managed care, but there was no expectation of recovery on my part. I found him later and he apologized when he found out how things turned out for me.

5 Likes

Made my own family.

Finding enjoyment in something again.

Got my sleep under control.

3 Likes

Hmm…

Well, I got married and have a child of my own.

When I was first diagnosed I thought neither of those things would happen for me.

Also now living far away from my parents house… all the thanks for that one goes to the husband though

5 Likes

I’m an artist
I’m in decent shape
I went to university
I found God
Lots of things but these will suffice
I’m proud of who I’ve become :grinning:

9 Likes

I got a couple of certs from edx and coursera over the years.

3 Likes

Got a master’s degree

Moved 5000 miles away from family that i lived with until age 35

Have several close friends and a dog

Manage my own money and have no debt

Have been in the hospital but haven’t been there involuntarily for over 5 years

Lost 150 pounds and can walk 5 miles without too much pain in knees/hips

8 Likes

I managed to get my license.:partying_face:
Took over fifteen years of trying and failed several times but eventually I got it even though “they “ said they would make sure I never get it.

I quit smoking.:love_you_gesture:t4::pray:t4::slightly_smiling_face:

Was vegan six years.(now vegetarian).

Drove under x boyfriend direction interstate and moved to pretty perfect home n family.(nolonger live there but adored my time there n only place i remember feeling home).

Being a mother to my fur babies I had.still have one.

Trying to exercise regularly.

There’s more but that’s some.

7 Likes

I quit drinking, smoking cigs, and marijuana
I live independently in my own apartment
I have and maintain a mature adult relationship with a beautiful woman
I can pay bills easily
I work a job no matter how crappy I feel I show up to work
I successfully completed 4.5 years of probation without any prison time
Everything in my life I centered around practicality
I drive a hybrid
I live walking distance to shopping
I am good at utilizing resources :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

My life is only over when I decide it is. Until that happens everyone best stay out of my way cuz Imma trample yo asses.

:grin:

4 Likes

You are on my inspiration list.

:heart:

4 Likes