What are/is/will be your most important steps towards recovery?

Finding inner peace so i can live with myself

5 Likes

Keep working. Start up going to CA meetings again. Support groups.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure I believe recovery is possible. Iā€™m sorry Iā€™m being a downer, but thatā€™s how I feel.

Maybe no one makes a full recovery but people do get better.

2 Likes

For me recovery means no more self destructive behavior, when I donā€™t care if Iā€™m ill or not and donā€™t take meds for it. It means putting my mental health as a priority, so I can live better with the illness. Means being functional, being able to clean my apartment and not make a mess of everything. Means good relationships, not toxic ones. Iā€™m sure it would mean something else to you, but try to think about it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never been up to par in society. Even as a kid I was troubled and didnā€™t race .

I just want to do Godā€™s will above all else in this lifeā€¦ and I think volunteering and offering my digital art might be the big guyā€™s will for me

2 Likes

But yes. Taking meds and communicating with doc. I go to aa meetings. No drinking or drug abuse.

Iā€™m so impressed with you @Minnii . I am on disability and just now living alone at nearly 40 years old because I couldnā€™t afford rent until lately with gov help. I wonder if I was in your shoes if Iā€™d do as well as youā€¦

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ve been finding strenght where I didnā€™t know I had. I think you would do fine.

1 Like

Staying sober (been sober since Nov 1st.)
Getting some exercise
Eat healthier
Keep some sort of social life going and refrain from isolating.
Take sarcosine for a while and see how it goes

2 Likes

Staying truly compliant by taking the antidepressants as well the antipsychotics. Getting the most out of whatā€™s left of my life. Learning to live more on my own. And following the Serenity Prayer to the letter.

1 Like

Getting a job and keeping it.
Doing some exercise.
Keep meeting people who still welcome me into their lives.
All of the above makes me feel better and get better.

1 Like

You really seem like you have a great set of goals to work towards. I still have hope, itā€™s just that itā€™s been so long that I feel it will be much harder. But on a positive note, at least I have the right diagnosis. You are always so positive and helpful. Thank you.

3 Likes

Youā€™re welcome. I try to be positive, sometimes itā€™s hard.
Youā€™re positive too, but itā€™s never easy to be diagnosed with sz, takes some time to adjust.
Like malvok said, itā€™s the mindset towards recovery. Youā€™ll get there, Iā€™m sure.

1 Like

Taking my meds, not isolating and challenging my thoughts (delusions).

1 Like

I donā€™t know but moving into my own quiet apartment out of my grandmaā€™s madhouse of sound and chaos probably helped greatly. Itā€™s still only true for people who call from her house to be the only time I have to hold the phone away from my ear to keep the sheer background noise from hurting my ears.

1 Like

Ive recovered now for 6 months but I took rispiridone for 3 years and it helped a lot with the symptoms but i didnt like the side affects anxiety and apathy people told me that schizophrenia is incurable but Im cured Im so happy I feel great

1 Like

First things first, i need to find a reason to get out of bed.

2 Likes

trying and succeeding somewhat at getting along better with my mom. :grinning:

judy

2 Likes

I think the most significant step towards my recovery occurred from within my first and main psychotic episode. I had been delusional for half a year but, at some point, came to establish a different, more useful, and less distressing interpretation of the phenomena I was experiencing. Which amounted to it being some psychotic disorder, likely schizophrenia.

At a certain level of inquiry, one stumbles upon the conceptualization of experiences. I think that, although there are habitual ways of doing so, there is some freedom here which consists in one being ā€˜allowedā€™ to choose a different conceptualization, although the force of habit can be rather strong. Ponderings aside, I came to want it to be schizophrenia rather than the alternative, the delusional conception I had applied to the experience for a long time.

I think this was the most significant step in my recovery, for it eased so many other steps along that road. I did not have to carry the burden that the SZ diagnosis can present to some. For in a sense, I got what I wanted when being diagnosed officially. That is to say, I took these experiences as a given, the only relevant options being ones conceptualization of those. ā€˜Normalā€™ wasnā€™t even an option given these experiences. I have often sighed in relief that it was merely schizophrenia and not [insert delusional interpretation of reality here]. I think it has eased issues concerning (self-)stigma as well. It also benefited treatment adherence and self-esteem I think.

1 Like

For me, medā€™s are the most important part of my recovery. I donā€™t think I can ever get off them. Not isolating - socializing is important too. If I am able to, I completely avoid all human contact. Iā€™ve gotten pretty weird before from being too isolated. Sobriety is also important. I can drink and not relapse, but I need to quit drinking for my physical health. I probably shorten my life span by drinking. I donā€™t particularly want to live forever, but I need time to accomplish the things I want to accomplish.

2 Likes