What Age Were You Diagnosed?

If you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, what age were you diagnosed at? What is the average age?

1 Like

I was 26…started seeing a pdoc at 22, had severe depression and ocd…was kind bipolar tehn …but at 26 sz hit me like a brick int the face

4 Likes

I was 25 when I was diagnosed…kinda happen all of a sudden. The whole year itself went downhill, then after a couple of weird moments…i ended up in a hospital and was diagnosed. I still don’t think im fully diagnosed right, I think the average age is 26-30 for males…18-24 for females.

2 Likes

I was 14 when I developed it, 15 when I was finally diagnosed.

22 soon to be 23 now …

2 Likes

I was 37 when I was diagnosed. But I was diagnosed with psychosis in my late 20s

2 Likes
  1. It took a long time to get there.
2 Likes

I think average age of onset is the opposite, younger for males and older for females

2 Likes

was 26 now 34. started hallucinating at 28. was the same as being undiagnosed up until I started hallucinating all the time. hard to believe it’s been 8 years already…time flies.

1 Like

I was either 20 or 21 years old.
Was “sick” since childhood.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder at age 22-23. Have been diagnosed with psychosis since I was 18. I’m 26 now.

2 Likes

Was diagnosed bipolar at like 19. Later diagnosed as sza at 30.

2 Likes

Diagnosed schizophrenic at 17. Diagnosed bipolar with psychotic features first at 13. Symptoms began very young, age 8 or 9 but I also hit puberty then and had a traumatic homelife so that probably sped things up. Always dealt with severe depression so dx is now sza.

2 Likes

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia paranoia when I was 20. At age 29 I was rediagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I am 30 now.

1 Like

19, the average age for guys is around there while I believe the average age for girls is later than that. My situation is weird because I have had the illness my whole life but was only allowed to get psychiatric help once in college. So it’s not like I just developed it at 19 that’s just when I was able to get help for myself and was finally fully open about what I experienced. (I did technically seek help at 17 but I was so scared of being locked up somewhere that I did not talk about what I felt might be psychosis at all)

2 Likes

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia paranoid when I was 30. I am 35 now.

2 Likes

21: depression
30: bipolar
35: sza

2 Likes

21-22: paranoid schizophrenic 2002/2003
35: re-diagnosed personality disorder

i was only really able to recover after a med change in 2011 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had seen psychiatrists since i was around 16 - 17 years old. I suffered from Major Depression back then. However, for Schizophrenia, i was diagnosed at 29…although i’d had symptoms of a couple of years prior so i really got the disorder at around 27 - 28.

2 Likes

I wasn’t diagnosed till I was 33.
But, after I look back at how things played out, I believe I had been having symptoms for about 10 years.

2 Likes

I got sick at 21 or 22. Starting questioning reality like if anything was real. Then I couldn’t tell what was real at all. Like I would look at reality and I just couldn’t recognize it. It was like chronic jamais vu.

2 Likes