What age did you develop schizophrenia and why do you think it mainly affects a particular age group

Apparently most males develop it from the age of 18-25 or is this true. And apparently women are a little older than men at onset. Anyway, why do you think it mainly affects this age group.

Also at what age did you develop the illness. I personally was 26.

This is a guess, but I heard a long time ago, by word of mouth, that we are able to utilize vitamins and minerals better at younger ages.

1 Like

I am male, and was hit by this at age 12.

1 Like

Mine came on gradually, looking back, it probably started when I was 16 and became full-blown at age 19. My guess is that part of the reason it hits usually at age 19 has something to do with hormones and stress at that age. Just a guess. Or I might have heard that somewhere.

1 Like

Mine was just a feeling of outsideness, no lone likes me, everyone was talking about me when I was in my late teens, 20’s went OK then when I was 30 ish it started with induindo’s about people I was dating and feeling like I was being watched. Went full blown at 36-38. Hospitalized once at 33 but didn’t get a diagnosis. Diagnosed at 38.

3 Likes

I showed signs as a kid - but full blown, first year of college

1 Like

I got mine in the mid 20s, though I had some childhood sz too. Not sure why most get it at that age. Maybe the brain goes through alot of development then. Though I didn’t develop much since I was going through sz.

1 Like

I was 19 at my first episode didn’t get help for a while and was diagnosed at 22

1 Like

I’m a female and I showed signs at the early age of 7. Then it kind of went away and came back when I was 15. I’ve been full-blown from then on.

1 Like

I was 18, almost 19 and Im male. I was in the prodromal phase for about 6 months before I became fully psychotic. I became actively psychotic right before age 19.

1 Like

about 2 months before age 19. did a 180 degree change in about 1-2 weeks. “sudden onset schizophrenia” for me.

1 Like

Im writing a paper on schizophrenia and today I covered the typical course. It’s not that uncommon to have a sudden onset, really. It’s just most people show signs building up for a while, from months to even multiple years. I remember paranoia as a child. I had my first delusion when I was 11, for example.

1 Like

I am female. First voices and hallucinations and paranoid delusions…or were they delusions? Came to me when I was about 15.
I started drinking heavily. About age 20 I started working and cut down on the drinking. Voices in control. No hallucinations. Then it started again in 2009-2010. I was 32. Paranoid delusions, voices. Hospitalized for 6 months in the end of 2010.

I have a friend who says I’m too old to be sz. He says it starts in early 20’s but he doesn’t know I was ill already at 15 years old.

1 Like

I have my psychotic break at the age of 34. Not any kind of psychotic experience prior to that. But I do show cognitive symptoms in my twenties.

1 Like

Mine started when I was 19, growing into a full psychotic meltdown when I was 27.

1 Like

I had something wrong with me my whole life. That incident when I was 5… my parents are convinced that it was my first psychotic break. 5-10 I was hyper, still seeing and hearing and reacting to my imaginary friends, I was still feeling it when my imaginary friends pinched me or hit me.

I really unhinged from lucid when I was 10-11. I got worse at 14, I worse again at 16. I finally crumbled at 17 got my official diagnosis.

1 Like

I believe schizophrenia really hit me at around 26 or 27, but I think I had some symptoms in my mid to late teens.

1 Like

Female :princess:

Started hearing persecutory voices at age 13.

1 Like

I was diagnosed when I was a teen. My parents after being discharged from the hospital. Never filled my prescriptions and i found a way to cope and live with it everyday. After three hospitals. The next time i was admitted when i was in my thirties. This time my husband stepped in as care taker and would give me my meds every day. After we moved i became responsible for myself because he was still in the service. So it became my job to make sure i took my medication. Been on it for eleven years now.Mine was genetic passed on to me. So far my children have not developed any signs of it.

4 Likes

I was thirty-six to thirty-seven when I started to develop psychosis. I didn’t get the schizophrenia diagnosis until I was thirty-nine.

1 Like