Weight loss after risperidone

So In February 2007 I was put on risperidone and gained around 70 pounds from it. I went off risperidone in 2008 and a year later I lost all the weight I gained. In 2015 I was put back on risperidone, this year I was switched to paliperidone which I stop taking August 18th. I gained over 100 pounds from risperidone/paliperidone. It took me only a year to lose about 70 pounds. I think by this time next year I’ll lose 70 pounds like I did before. So for those that wonder if they’ll lose weight after stopping risperidone or paliperidone you most likely will! I quit cold turkey in 2008 but don’t remember if I had any withdrawals. In February of this year I signed a certificate of leave which said I have to get my injection every 3 weeks and the entire time I wanted to be off medication. I don’t have schizophrenia. I only get manic but hey I’ve been manic for years and function just fine.

I lost weight when i got off risperdone too. I take latuda now. Its my fav medicine

I only lost 10 of the 30 lbs I gained on risperidone. So, those of you considering it, don’t assume it’s a sure thing.

I managed to lose a lot of weight when I was on big weight gaining meds like Risperdal, Depakote, Zyprexa.
I was once on a cocktail of Abilify, Depakote,Tegretol and Klonopin and managed to lose over 50lbs through a sensible “diet” and moderate exercise.

We cannot blame the meds on everything.

It is more difficult to lose weight while being on these psych meds but it is possible.

2 Likes

I gained 40 lbs on risperidone / zofredal.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.