We are adopting a dog!

I’d only get the dog if you can afford actual training classes. That way, you will know what to do. Otherwise, the dog could get a lot of behavioral problems.

When I was 8, I got a dog. It was my job to train, feed and clean up after the dog. I did a terrible job training. My dog ended up chewing through my moms mattress and it ate a couch. I’m not kidding. The dog completely destroyed the whole couch. It wasn’t the dog’s fault though. I just didn’t know what I was doing and I didn’t train him properly.

This time, I got an adult dog from a rescue foster home that already had basic training and it’s so much easier that way. But he was abused and that has its own behavioral issues. But he’s still a really good boy though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Animals are so good for you and your mental health. Hope you enjoy your new dog!

4 Likes

Thanks @Bowens @Moonbeam @CoCo @rogueone!

I know how to train dogs @CoCo, I’ve owned many dogs before but for some reason if the dog is displaying problem behavior then we are open to the idea of hiring a professional trainer.

4 Likes

Oh that’s great! I’m glad you already know how to train dogs. That makes your life so much easier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Labs are such sweethearts. They tend to shed though so you’ll need to vacuum more often. I expect plenty of pics! :smiley:

3 Likes

Good luck, .@Wave

2 Likes

Awww! I’m so happy for you @Wave. :slight_smile:

I got my kitty from an animal shelter, so I’m a big advocate for shelter animals.

They really are the best!

1 Like

Great wave!!!
Good luck with your first choice! Xx

1 Like

I’m so happy for you @Wave dogs really are a mans best friend. She will bring you lots of joy.

1 Like

Thanks @agent101g @JustTrish @Montezuma @Three and @Qwerty!

3 Likes

Congrats. Sounds like a good breed of dog. I hope things go well for you.

1 Like

Thanks @Blizzard

The rescue organization hasn’t contacted me yet.
I’m now having second thoughts about getting a dog.
It’s just me and my father living here in the house.
My father wants to get a dog real bad but he doesn’t understand that I’ll be doing all the work!

Owning a dog is a huge responsibility and I don’t know if I’m up to the task of working full time taking care of a needy dog right now.

I suffer from lack of motivation probably from negative symptoms or depression.

My father is old and fragile and I don’t think it’s a good idea having a dog in the house with two disabled adults in the house.

I’ll have to think it over for a while.

Owning a smaller dog might be in the cards but I really don’t need to get pressured by my father and brother right now.

So I’ll see …

3 Likes

I’ve decided on possibly buying a small to medium sized dog.
But I’ve changed my mind about adopting the black lab mix.
The rescue organization hasn’t called and after some more research I’ve decided not to adopt from this rescue organization.

I don’t think the lab mix is available anyway.

Yes I’m going to either purchase a smaller sized pup from a breeder or this one highly rated puppy “store” near my town.

Smaller dogs are actually more work than bigger and are more likely to have behavior probpems

Labs are really laid back and don’t take a lot of work. The best dog I ever had was a black lab. She was just amazing. I got her as a pup and she picked up her training super easy.

My next best dog was a german Shepherd. She was so laid back. My dog now is a Shepherd and he’s hardly any work at all.

3 Likes

Labrador puppies can be a handful.
They start to mellow out at 2 years old.

I probably won’t be getting a small dog but more of a medium sized dog like my last dog I owned.

They say that chocolate labs are pretty wild and it’s best to own yellow and black labs.

But I don’t know how true that is.

Mine was a pretty mellow pup and at 1. But all are different. Adopt8ng an adult would help.

1 Like

I was thinking alone the lines of goldendoodle or a cute labradoodle. Doddle mixes.

1 Like

I read it as we are doping a dog lol

2 Likes

Have you considered getting a cat? They tend to be less work and are very nice pets.

2 Likes