Volunteer Work

I am wondering how many people on the board do volunteer work? I have volunteered several places since my accident, including the stroke recovery Ward, Community Care for Meals on Wheels, as well as friendly telephone visiting with seniors.

However… I’m not sure I can handle any of this anymore with schizophrenia. I need to do something like that, but I’m afraid at the same time.

The Humane Society is appealing to me

Anyone in this boat?

3 Likes

I volunteered once at a library. It didn’t go well. I got paranoia. That and I tried DOR but stopped answering the phone because of paranoia. I got psychosis back then. So I only volunteered once back a few years ago and I’ve been sza since 2011. It’s 2021 now and I’m trying to work part time, but it’s sort of a temp thing and my boss (step-dad) is old and might be getting dementia.

I was a severe case even on meds (from my view) but mom said today I have mild sza, ocd, and likely aspergers and I’m learning how to work again and get back in the groove of things. I am smart and have a lot of potential but have extremely low self esteem, I’m lazy, and other schizophrenic stuff.

I mean I think schizophrenia makes me feel like I’m being mentally tortured every day even though I’m definitely not.

I have bizarre delusions to say the least. Mainly with transhumanism and advanced human and alien civilization crap as well as metaphysical crap and I stared at the grass and chain smoked for 10+ years because I was stuck in my head and my DP/DR and anxiety was so bad for the first 5+ years.

2 Likes

I volunteer a couple of days down the cricket club. Have learned some great skills but it’s so lo stressed. Works well for me on disability as it gives me something important to do

Preparing the wicket and looking after the oval is interesting if boring work bit I recommend I volunteering if your on disabilty

2 Likes

I volunteer to do chores around the house. Being in adult foster care, I’m not required to do any of them but I think it makes me feel better connected with the “family”.

2 Likes

@anon28145038 you’ve had a very rough go, my friend. I’m glad things are getting a bit better for you now. You certainly seem better lately, good to see

@rogueone that sounds ideal. When I picture myself volunteering at the Humane Society, it is doing something on my own. I would rather work on my own at first, and then feel my way into dealing with other people. Thanks

@PinCushion good on you. I like chipping in too, makes me feel better

1 Like

I volunteer here and with my local food bank.

1 Like

@Ninjastar nice. What do you do at the food bank? Is it pickups or the packaging them up? Or something else maybe…

1 Like

I’ve volunteered on and off with an organization connected with the church called the Legion of M—. I’ve been with them since 2008.

We usually work with nursing home residents but that’s on hold right now due to covid.

This work has always been extremely difficult for me due to my verbal and behavioral inappropriateness due to sza. But I keep trecking on.

I’m not sure if it’s the same for you, but I have an absolutely bizarre sense of humour, and most people just don’t get me. I’ve had to bite my tongue so many times LOL

1 Like

No I can only very very rarely crack a joke.

1 Like

Do you have sz or sza?

I drive the food to the stands and stock it up.

2 Likes

@SkinnyMe Schizophrenia, as well as PTSD, major depressive disorder, and dissociation

I’ve been nine months without a grand-mal seizure, pray to God that is over

2 Likes

I had permanent dp/dr and it eventually went away 6 years later…then the paranoia and questioning came…thought weird stuff…lol.

I dont know i had bad random panic attacks. Never developed to agoraphobia. I have my higher power though…

Weird thing is im an excellent driver but barely drive and stay locally.

The worst thing i ever had was dissociation called derealization 24/7 and for 5 or more years. I still have a very mild case. Meds, cigs, caffeine all make it worse. I had overstimulation and understimulation. I had acute stress disorder but never got diagnosed with ptsd…

I get weird dreams. Before 2011 it feels like i didnt exist, wasnt here, and i lived over a billion different traumatic lives. Like consciousness transfer into different timelines. It is a curse and a gift.

Made me think it was aliens or illuminati. But it happened and feels so real like i was actually there living simultaneous lives…

1 Like

I like volunteering and did a lot before COVID hit. Now I’m having to avoid people. Hoping I can maybe get back to it. We’ll see.

2 Likes

i don’t do any volunteering… i can’t go outside so there is not much i can do.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.