Visiting my brother makes me sad sometimes. His life is "perfect"

My brother and his wife work hard and smart for the good life they’ve got.

I was over at his place last night and my little nieces were excited to see me.

But now, I’m back home. And it makes me a bit sad seeing what could have been possible for me.

16 Likes

I feel the same way about my hollow life @everhopeful

Lost potential

This made me tear up

7 Likes

Not dead yet.

That’s the cut off date.

4 Likes

My kid bro has a trophy wife and a boy and girl…

We’re both getting older, and he is beginning to treat me like Fredo(Weak and stupid)…

I put him over the edge, when I told him I prematurely ran out of Seroquel(I doubled up twice when I was on it because life is hard), he says, "Mike you got to get it togther, you really do, this is affecting all of us now).

The other admission was I visited a gentlemen’s club, and had a relapse (into alcohol), I fell on my face and needed an emergency room(hence why I couldn’t keep it secret).

Are you happy for your brother, though? I mean, he’s your father’s son… do you love him unconditionally?

Do you compete with him? I don’t with mine, he’s my best and favorite, family member.

Your poem awhile back on having Love and/or freedom rings true with me. I’m bracing him for a mind(BEEP) if I get felled due to smoking.

And everyone is watching me hurt myself.

Apologies this is just what stirred up in me, I hope some is relevant to what you want to discuss on your thread!!

2 Likes

Yes, it can be hard.
But I think this illness shaped us into what we are.

Despite it, I think I became better man than I was before illness.

I have no regrets toward children, it would be such a burden for them and me if I had them when I developed sz.

4 Likes

Oh yes, I’m very happy.

3 Likes

I too have a brother who is quite successful with good job, wife and kids. I’m happy that he’s making it, especially when I’m not.

5 Likes

My brother has it all.
Wealth, a nice home, a great job, lots of friends, an important job and position, a beautiful young girlfriend

His son is struggling though with mental illness and this is breaking his heart.

I’m glad for him and his success and status but sometimes like @everhopeful said, it makes me sad because it reminds me of what I could have had if it weren’t for my mental illness.

5 Likes

No should have been, could have been, would have been’s allowed. Peace.

4 Likes

@everhopeful your plight has touched my heart. I feel very selfish for having two children when you have none. I’ve decided to send my daughter to you. Best of luck Dad.

3 Likes

I don’t have brothers, but I have many brethren :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Yes i completely get this, im same with mine

1 Like

Hey, try not to envy him. Nobody’s life is perfect. He just has different stresses than yours. Maybe he presents himself, or contains his problems, really well. Some people can do that. I think you are a very strong person and have much to be admired and respected. Believe in yourself.

5 Likes

It is a very real thing to be sad about what sz or in my case sza has taken from you.

2 Likes

Everybody has problems; some people are just better at hiding them than others.

3 Likes

My sister is very wealthy and looks perfect. Nice home, successful kids, lots of traveling with the kids.

She also had an affair and now her husband tracks her every move on both her phone and her car. She’s a prescription and alcohol addict. She gained a ton of weight, but she was an athlete all her life. After an injury she has been unable to really exercise.

In other words, she’s miserable. It’s not always greener on the other side

6 Likes

I have to admit- tho I am married and have a daughter of my own…

I am still a bit envious of my siblings (and other people in general)

They are going on vacations all the time and are successful on their own, like don’t have a husband taking care of them….

1 Like

great advice :slight_smile: live in the moment i think is what they say :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the temptation to experience a little envy is as human as the temptation to be angry. few are able to overcome it fully and itll always be a part of the fallen human condition.

3 Likes

my sister has a perfect life…she travels, lives in a brand new beautiful home and cooks her head off all the time…she drinks every day though and I worry about her…

1 Like