Ulotaront antipsychotic

I have been reading about it and how it works, TAAR1 activator. It doesn’t cause movement disorders. But I read that TAAR1 affects dopamine so I wonder if it will be good for negative symptoms. How does reducing dopamine indirectly vs blocking dopamine receptors work?

an agonist at the trace amine-associated receptor 1 (TAAR1) and serotonin 5-HT1A receptors

Ulotarant was awarded a Breakthrough Therapy designation due to its increased efficacy and greatly reduced side effects compared to current treatments

2 Likes

5-HT1A receptor agonists like buspirone and flesinoxan show efficacy in relieving anxiety and depression,

TAAR1 plays a significant role in regulating neurotransmission in dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin neurons in the CNS

Known or putative function in humans Known ligands Sources
hTAAR1 TA1
TAR1 Gs, Gq,

GIRKs,
β-arrestin 2|CNS: brain (widespread), spinal cord
Periphery: pancreatic β-cells, stomach, duodenum, intestines, leukocytes, elsewhere|• CNS: modulation of monoamine/glutamate neurotransmission
• CNS: regulation of cognitive processes & mood states
• Periphery: leukocyte chemotaxis
• Periphery: regulation of GI hormone release & blood glucose
• Regulation of satiety & body weight|

2 Likes

Anyone has any idea on how this AP will affect the dopamine neurotransmitter?

It raises insulin?

1 Like

Thats a good thing, blood glucose will be lower and less risk of diabetes.

1 Like

My guess is that it will be the best for weight loss. TAAR1 activation reduces body weight and it doesn’t affect serotonin receptors that cause weight gain like other APs.

1 Like

Weight loss would be nice im tired of being fat from meds

1 Like

Hopefully it will be good for negative symptoms too.

1 Like

Is this med more likely to come out before karxt? Which one looks more promising?

1 Like

It should also be good for anxiety and depression given that its a 5-HT1A agonist.

2 Likes

KarXT is also in Clinical Trials phase 3 but only in phase 1 for negative and cognitive symptoms.

1 Like

I have a feeling we would still have negative symptoms indirectly lowering dopamine but I guess we will just have to see

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.