To all who take olanzapine or has formally used olanzapine

If i only eat vegetables would i be able to lose weight while taking olanzapine? Ive been taking olanzapine for a few years now and i really dont eat much, just one meal a day because ive gained tolerance to the medication, and im not as hungry. But if i can only eat 1 meal a day and i drink 3 cups of coffee can i lose weight? Im realy thinking about cutting all food and just eating vegetables and water and maybe 2 cups of coffee.

2 Likes

Didn’t work for me. Uncontrollable appetite and I wound up eating veg that was not cooked in a healthy manner. Explosive weight gain.

4 Likes

Ok. When you started eating only vegetables were you able to lose weight?

2 Likes

No. I gained well over 100 lbs in record time. I also wasn’t able to limit myself completely to vegetables. I had no control over my appetite at all.

2 Likes

Oh ok i understand. Well for me I got used to the medicine so i dont eat as much. But i still wonder if i can lose the weight by going vegan and working out a little more. If i can follow a strict vegan diet will i be able to lose it because i was told that olanzapine changes your metabolism, really dont know what that means but if it changes your metabolism maybe my efforts on going vegan will be pointless.

1 Like

Wishing you luck. It made me sleep half the time. I’d wake up to eat some celery with half a jar of cheez whiz and then sleep again. I think my only exercise was trips to the fridge or bathroom.

3 Likes

You said you drink coffee. Do you put a lot of sugar in it? Aren’t you worried about getting enough protein? It takes a lot of work to get enough protein from sources other than meat and fish.

2 Likes

Wow, so it seems like you only ate and slept so that makes sense on why you couldn’t lose weight. I really dont eat much anymore but i am also sedentary so i know you have to eat less and move more if you want to lose weight and i dont exercise at all, i have to change that. But does olanzapine change your metabolism?

1 Like

I put liquid coffee creamer in my coffee that contains sugar. Its kind of like a latte. I drink that around 3 times a day. Do you think thats why i cant lose weight? Also im not too worried about protein. I can easily do a protein shake or a protein drink. But whats your take on that?

1 Like

I’ve had two different doctors tell me it leaves a lot of SZs with diabetes.

2 Likes

I was a prediabetic but that was because i was taking olanzapine and Depakote, but after i stopped taking depakote i loss 40 pounds and i am no longer prediabetic. But ive never stop taking olanzapine so i can say it didnt cause me diabetes. But what does being diabetic have to do with metabolisms?

1 Like

You might need to get more protein. Maybe you could talk to a dietician about it.

3 Likes

Insulin plays a critical role in our metabolism. Effed up insulin production or insulin signalling pathway disruptions play merry hob with how we metabolise lipids, proteins, and sugar.

2 Likes

I use a ton of sugar each day in coffee and tea. I’m not a good example. Three times a day and I wouldn’t worry.

2 Likes

I do need a dietician. But what happens if you dont get enough protein?

1 Like

Ok, so olanzapine messes with the insulin production which messes with our metabolism?

1 Like

Lol ok. Do you take olanzapine? And how is your weight if you dont mind me asking?

1 Like

That kind of thing varies from person to person, but everyone needs at least a little protein. Protein does a lot of beneficial things to your body. One thing it does is keep your blood sugar levels stable, but if you are eating fruit that kind of sugar isn’t harmful like the abundant table sugar we get from our grocery stores. But you’d have to talk to diet professional to get the lowdown on all the good things protein does for you. Personally, I eat way too much sugar, but the protein I get helps stabilize my blood sugar levels. Talk to a nutritionist about it.

2 Likes

I think you need to eat a lot per serving if you are going to eat one meal a day.

Also if you are going to eat vegetarian, then you need to eat beans and protein rich plants.

You will need to eat healthy fats!

I’m on olanzapine and I eat three meals a day. I am heavy, but that’s because I barely move.

3 Likes

I weigh between 240 and 250. I’ll find out for sure next week when I see my GP. I don’t feel fat but according to some people in authority I should weigh 175 that’s pounds, we in the states haven’t learned the metric system if that’s what it’s called.

2 Likes