Thoughts on lack of motivation

If negative symptoms are caused by the antipsychotics it means that no matter how hard we try we cannot beat our negative symptoms.

On the other hand if negative symptoms are not caused by or are not the direct result of the intake of anti psychotics it means we have a chance of fighting the feelings of lack of motivation and other negative symptoms.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

negative symptoms are part of the disease I think. Yeah, maybe you can try to change your brain by doing exercises…

See this video

Diagnosis given is schizophrenic athymhormia (disorder of motivation). A lack of vitality, flat affect, and apathy are exhibited by this young subject whose face, attitude, voice and speech reflects the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

He have no positive symptoms just negative symptoms and his dx is athymhormia

I think he is incorrectly dxd as schizo athymhormia as schizo needs some kind of positive symptoms either delusion or hallucination. Negative symptoms can arise from various other disorders like bipolar, parkinson, athymhormia like this etc.

So does that mean that negative symptoms can be reversed in our case with proper exercise and other things?

Yes negative symptoms is mostly due to the side effects of medication as reduction in dopamine is the main cause of negative symptoms.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying but my question is do the meds play a part in creating negative symptoms?

If the meds do then we may not have a chance because we have to take the meds for life but otherwise that is if meds don’t contribute to our negatives then we definitely have a chance at beating the negatives.

There are many causes to negative symptoms, it can be the disease, the meds or depression. It’s hard to know sometimes what is the cause…

4 Likes

Without medications positive symptoms can worsen which is even more dangerous. Exercises and brain training and following daily habits greatly help to manage negative symptoms.

So you are saying that the negatives cannot be reversed because it’s caused by meds yes?

Also does anyone have proof of it?

If you reduce medications then negative symptoms can reduce but too much of interest creates positive symptoms which when channeled in negative way creates positive symptoms like paranoia, delsuions, anxiety etc.

1 Like

I had negative symptoms long before I was put on antipsychotics. I would put things off until they became a crisis. It sucked.

Yes you are on point.

But my confusion is about the meds.

How can we cure our negatives if the cause lies with the meds which we take daily.

So you exercise today feel fresh and good but then again you take meds and it brings you down.

It’s this thing that I can’t understand.

I think finding the correct dose of AP will help to reduce as much negative symptoms. Little more dose creates more negative symptoms.

Also I am not in any way trying to say that meds are bad or I am better off without meds.

I acknowledge the value of meds but it’s just this one thing about negatives and meds that I am unable to process that’s where I need opinions.

There is no medicine for negative symptoms what can be done is reduce the culprits which is causing them in the first place. But like in medicine there is side effects for every medicine and negative symptoms is one of the side effect of APs.

Sometimes doctors prescribe dopamine agonists like wellbutrin, strattera, l dopa etc for negative symptoms but in some it can worsen positive symptoms.

I have motivation, but it sucks because I don’t have anything to do at the same time.

So as you say that meds have side effects and negatives are one of the side effects… It means we can’t beat the negatives because it’s caused by meds and we have to take the meds for life so there is no chance of beating negatives.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Do you work?

It’s good that you have motivation.

1 Like