The plasticity thread

Hey all. What with recent news and accumulated evidence that brain plasticity can be increased by factors like medication, nutrition/supplements, exercise, learning/brain training, and therapy, I invite you to post about what you are doing.

I realized recently that my obsessive thought patterns are only reinforcing my problems. It’s really hard to break out of that pattern, but I’m hoping that I can create some new ones.

I don’t really know how to do that. It’s like telling someone to just be different. But, I’m going to start with doing things and having experiences and just trying to accept the feelings that go along with them, but trying to steer them consciously to positive places.

From all the stuff I’ve been reading, all the therapeutics work best in combination: exercise paired with cognitive training supercharged results compared to either alone, therapy with medication reduced social anxiety better than either by itself (in fact medication alone was not very helpful).

So, right now, I’m getting up. I’m going to do 20 squats, lunges and sit ups. I’m going to shower, and dress in some new clothes I bought. I’m going to go out and have coffee. I’m going to call someone.

I think that’s plenty for one day.

I’ll report back.

9 Likes

U are opening ur life situation for first time…god bless…

1 Like

I’m doing all of these now. From 0/5 to 5/5. I’d say that is some good progress. They all seem to help, but I also need to manage stress effectively to be able to function well. That means a lot of things, and therapy and exercise can be very helpful for this. Therapy lets you find out what helps, but you have to follow up and actually do those things, and exercise decreases your stress level.

I try to adjust my expectations of myself to reduce my stress level when it’s too high. That means more time to chill out and not beating myself up for doing that. When my stress level is low, I adjust my expectations upwards so I can do more. More exercise, more reading, more chores, more of all the good things. Simple, but effective. I also rely heavily on planning and organizing my life to reduce stress, and I manage my symptoms with med adjustments when necessary. Stress is really my mental thermometer, and it’s all about keeping it low without getting lazy - because you have to push yourself forward every time you get the chance if you want to get well.

4 Likes

I would like this twice if I could.

I have been repeating to myself: Do your best, your best is the best for you, not what another person can do. Your best on a good day will be better than on a bad day.

Progress so far: Did the light exercise, showered and dressed.

4 Likes

Shifting gears during the day is essential to keep ourselves stimulated. The brain wants as much interaction with our environment as possible. I do as much as I can each day to make life as exciting and interesting as I can. After all life is short.

2 Likes

What I do to break out of obsessive thoughts is to just say to myself ‘Maybe I’m wrong to think that. Maybe what I’m thinking isn’t true at all’. You need to keep repeating it to yourself day in and day out and eventually the delusions will crack under the constant pressure. It’s like in the Shawshank Redemption movie, a small hammer when used over an extended period can break you out of the delusional prison cell.

2 Likes

Thank you for that.

Maybe it isn’t real, maybe my fears won’t happen (and if they do, I may as well have fun before then)

Update on the day: I went out. I had coffee, shopped. I am freaking out. Heart pounding physical symptoms. I can do it, I just hate feeling like it may always be this way. I wouldn’t be any better at home though, so it makes being out easier. In fact I hesitate to go home because I’ll probably continue this attack there. Doubled up on my theanine but it’s not working.

1 Like

Back home. Well, I did everything.

Wish I felt better though.

I know, I have to do this most days to expect a change.

3 Likes

Woah, you almost sound like a normie :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I dunno if it’s plasticity, but i used to hate doing anything. Now i can tollerate things such as movies or being around ppl better. Maybe not ‘plasticity’ in the conventional sense, but ive found ways to function better. I was looking at a voluteer database today cuz my therapist wants me to do it.

1 Like

I break out the plaster whenever my eyes meet a hole in the wall.

Works for me.

1 Like

Awake. Going to do jumping jacks today and then walk in the park.

Who’s with me?

1 Like

Ur brother is with u…name far age 32…

1 Like

I walked in the park for 2 hours. My back kinda hurts, but did you know that exercise and being in the sun creates BDNF (brain derived neurotropic factor) so it can help your brain.

2 Likes

Hi @twinklestars You are a hero!

Yes this is what it takes, I am able to force myself physical things, now I brush my teeth every night. I can not believe it.
BUT

I am absolutely not able to change my perspective on some things. It is so tough I don’t know how to break free from the thought pattern because I believe it. If I can change my mindset on some things and perspective, my life will change and I will be so happy.

2 Likes

Yeah, me too.

But, at least today while I was walking I felt pretty good.

Today was a benzo day though. I take mine 3 days a week. So we’ll see how it goes when it wears off.

2 Likes

For neuroplasticity, I do all of the above. I take my dog on walks. I do brain training games. I even participated in a study about using brain training games to treat schizophrenia. I do neurofeedback therapy. I go to my therapy and doctor appointments, and I take my meds and supplements.

Right now, Im struggling to keep up with everything. Some days are easier than others. But I am sure I’ll be feeling the positive effects soon.

2 Likes

I dunno what to do today. But I ordered some fish because I read that people who eat fish twice a week have 15% larger pre frontal cortex. Cortices? Bigger brains. :smile:

3 Likes

It is oily fish like Salmon with Omega 3 fatty acids. That stuff is totally rad for brain growth, and it tastes delicious!

1 Like

Yes, not just any fish, seems the best are salmon, trout, tuna and sardine.

Tuna you have to limit because it has mercury.

What’s that fancy salad with sardine in it?

2 Likes

hello @twinklestars .
I am glad that you are doing exercise.
I think that cognition is more important than physical condition,
but it is still important to exercise every day,
and work on both aerobic and anaerobic fitness and also flexibility,
these are all components of fitness.
Although, from what I read, the most important is aerobic fitness,
followed by anaerobic followed by flexibility.
I personally didn’t exercise much the past 2 weeks, but I am going to get right back to it.
An important factor is to train relentlessly and even if you have forced intermissions, and my intermissions were forced, try to resume training as soon as possible.
Another important factor-
try alternative methods of treatment as well.
Not only official medicine exists, there is also alternative medicine and it may be worth a try.

1 Like