Schizophrenia.com

The musings of an insomniac

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately about my “schizophrenia.” I placed it in quotes, because I don’t believe I have sz, but PTSD with psychotic features. I was recently on 2 meds: Saphris and Thorazine. I was holding steady at 10 mg of Saphris, and my Thorazine had just been dropped from 800 - 400 mg. Then I had a seizure. A bad one. I dislocated both shoulders, bit my tongue, and hurt my lower back. Now I’m up at night because I don’t have my “sleepy time” meds. I expect the next few days (weeks?) to be riddled with insomnia. I’m taking Depakote for my seizures, as this was not my first seizure, but more like the 8th or 9th. I love my Depakote. My head is clear of voices and paranoia, and it feels wonderful to be firing on all cylinders. I guess now we just wait for the natural sleep cycle to kick in…

Can anyone here relate?

Sorry about the seizures. I hope that your insomnia doesn’t last long. Have you tried Melatonin?

1 Like

I know you’re just making a helpful suggestion, but Melatonin may as well be a sugar pill to me.

I’ve been fighting insomnia for a few years now, even though I’m on the max dosages of Latuda, Seroquel, and Klonopin. They do absolutely nothing to help me fall and stay asleep.

So I developed my own regimen for sleepy time. About 1 hour before I want to fall asleep, I drink 8 oz of effervescent magnesium citrate (its called Calm Magnesium powder), take 2500 mg of Valerian, and meditate. This gets me to sleep within 30 mins to 1 hr.

I prefer a more natural approach, vs prescription sleep aids such as Ambien or Lunesta. But since your insomnia is so severe, you might benefit from a prescription sleep aid. There are non-narcotic sleep aids such as trazodone or amitriptyline. Both are used off label for insomnia.

I do hope you find some relief. Sleep deprivation can wreak havoc on the brain and body.

Maybe something to talk to your doc about.

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

Thanks @radmedtech. I’ll look into Elavil. Trazodone does nothing, from doses 50-300. Elavil is a worthwhile proposition. Today I had been mulling over Sinequan/doxepin. Thoughts on that med???

Hm. I’ve had 3 seisures in my life. 1 a heat stroke. 1 during the flu. and 1 out of the blue. Have been an absolute insomniac ever since around the time of the first seisure, but I can’t say for sure if it’s related or not. The only things that have ever put me to sleep are anti-psychotics, and like @BarbieBF suggested, melatonin. If you haven’t tried it, I’d highly suggest it.

I’ve been dogged by insomnia since I was very little. I’ve gotten to where I kind of enjoy the time to myself.

Doxepin is very effective in treating insomnia. It usually starts at a low dose and is titrated up to reach optimal effect. Ive seen several patients on it and all have reported good sleep in the inpatient setting.

There are a few unwanted side effects of sexual dysfunction, urinary frequency, and constipation. But those should fade with time.

I’d say its a good option to discuss with your doc.

Blessings,

Anthony

Thanks Anthony. I’ll try to score an appointment today so I’m not up two days in a row.

Great idea! Reign that insomnia in before it starts to affect you negatively.

Sending best wishes.

Anthony

1 Like

I used to have a diagnosis of PTSD that was made at the therapeutic community I lived at for a year and a half. Years later I checked into a dual diagnosis program and they took it away…after just four months! They apparently assumed that since I was suffering from delusions that therefor everything I said was a delusion…

Problem for me is, now that I’m not psychotic and in a much better frame of mind I realize that the cause of this PTSD is probably the last thing I should be telling anyone about…as there could easily be some major misunderstandings…

But yes my PTSD or non existant PTSD as it is considered now, was so bad that it caused nearly ten years of dissociative amnesia…

When my seroquel got cut down I was up all the time. I think it was the seroquel putting me to sleep. But lower doses, I was awake. I tried everything, but my body just had to adjust. Also for me, I would walk more, swim more, or do anything to tire myself out enough that my body just finally gave up and said… “Ok yes, I’m tired”

I also dim the lights down an hour before bed, take my bath, clear my mind. Get ready for sleep.

1 Like

Wonder if you can take Advil PM? I Don`t know if that would mix with your other meds…

First night of doxepin/Sinequan. It hasn’t made me tired, just kinda high. Would really like some sleep now, please and thank you.

This is going to sound lame but have you tried making hot chocolate with all hot milk not hot water? It’s scientifically proven to help and at least it won’t conflict with your meds. Hopefully once you adjust to the new doses of meds you will be able to sleep again. I had that problem when they took me off seroquel to try a new med. It was awful. I ended up being put back on it. Take it easy for awhile so you don’t have any more seizures. I hope you’re doing better soon.