Schizophrenia.com

The concept of Schizophrenia is coming to an end

Just like that they can change what it is altogether. I should try and create my own disorder and see if I can get them to put it in their book. Pretty sure a drug would be out for it within a year.

11 Likes

Good article. I asked and got a second opinion by this professor van Os. Love him. He was very attentive and hopeful and has a thoughtful view on psychosis. I agree with this line of thinking.

2 Likes

One problem that I would have had was that I was unable to admit to having childhood trauma until I was about 40 because I was embarrassed by it.

3 Likes

Let’s hope this approach will become mainstream, so we can get tailored therapies soon.

2 Likes

I hope so too, but there is a lot of resistance to it amongst psychiatrists somehow. Or so i noticed when i asked for it.

2 Likes

I know I don’t want to stop my AP’s, that are working, and start cortisone therapy, that is very dangerous, just because it is the latest fad in psychiatry.

1 Like

Interesting article.

But, right now I’m thinking of the concept of a bowl of leftover stew heated up in the microwave.

3 Likes

I’m not gonna raise my voice.

Yeah but the people who use this site are more at the low end of spectrum and then there’s the folk who don’t have any money or sanity and live on the streets.

Yeah it’s good for political point scoring but our lives aren’t in anyway affected by this…unless we are diagnosed at the poor end of the spectrum. Didn’t read the full article because I think it’s just trying to hide that it is still a severe disorder in most respects!

3 Likes

I spoke to the professor in the article personally…he is in no way hiding that it can be a severe problem. I think i remember (not sure) he actually had sz in his own family.

He just argues, among other things, that there isnt this one solide thing called sz, but there are psychotic symptoms on a spectrum (from very mild to very severe), with all sorts of causes or mixes of causes, and different outcome possibilities and best treatment options. Some people will be better helped with meds, other with trauma therapy, yet other with something else.

He thinks the hopeless attitude and stigma around sz is hurting people. And he fights a lot for good care for people here. So there are chances for better lives.

Sorry if i sound temperamental, it is enthusiasm about what i see he tries to do here (in my country), not meanness.

5 Likes

Whereas all the other psychiatrists told me i would die, i would always be very sick, i couldnt work, i would always use heavy doses of meds, i was a horrible person, i would come back to the ward anyway, etcetera…

…this guy in a few talks just listened and told me there are many outcomes possible and gave me hope, and practical ideas to fight for recovery, without painting dream castles.

5 Likes

I think there’s a case to be made for ‘psychosis spectrum disorder’ with various subtypes within that.

2 Likes

All’s I’m saying is that labels help some folk. No matter what you call it if you take the meds it helps. Also. Having similar symptoms and medical issues can actually help. It always surprises me how a lot of folk have the same/similar delusions.

Yes. It’s not a new idea. I just am used to and find solace in the old system. More power too you if it leads to better outcomes. That is ultimately the goal of everyone!

3 Likes

The point of a dx is to provide a means to specify treatments for it. If breaking down sz into more dx means better treatment then I’m all for it. But in my experience sz hit me like a truck when it started mostly out of the blue but also related to stress. I did not progress on any kind of spectrum, it was day and night. I went from totally fine to catatonic in 2 weeks

Thanks…I hope it didnt sound i was attacking you…

Where you benefitted greatly from the old system and emphasis on meds… I started to get better only after finding my own way. So im tempted to jump on the barricades when someone proposes alternative views, while you might be more sceptical. It is good that you say this though…it is good to remember not everyone needs what i need. :wink:

1 Like

That is tough!!

1 Like

Alternative approaches are fine so long as they stand up to sufficient scrutiny. Often they don’t.

2 Likes

Yes, im not a big fan of randomly grabbing every weird alternative out of despair (as i did in the past). This guy was rather thoughtful though and not claiming bizar things.

I’m sceptical of those that push trauma as a stand alone cause of psychosis. Trauma + heightened genetic risk = more likely .

Can someone summarise this article the title sounds interesting